Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Post-Holiday Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Holiday Blues

Ugh...this is the most depressing time of the year for me...no vacation in sight and it's about to get crazy at work. Plus Sept. through Dec. is my favorite time of the year.

Anyway else dragging today?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Winter blues have hit our household really hard. Some relationship crap is making it worse.

DH got us started on P90X yesterday to try to counter it - I think he's afraid that I'm sinking fast. I'm not - not really, but any boost is needed this time of year.

Comment

I'm right there with you The last two days were awful. Today I all of a sudden felt better and even got myself to work out, which I think helped too. Hopefully that continues. I hope your blues lift soon!
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

DH got us started on P90X yesterday to try to counter it - I think he's afraid that I'm sinking fast.
        If you want some awesome motivation, check out the P90X facebook group's photos.

Glad I'm not alone!
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I can relate. January has always been my least favorite month of the year. It doesn't help that DH has been crabby the last couple days, especially since he's off so he's home all. the. time! I know I'll miss him once he goes back so I'm trying to make the best of it.
          Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

MLK Day? Which I may not actually get to take this year. But anyway, that's usually my January motivator.

(We are extending Christmas until my ILs come out next weekend. It's weird, because Christmas should be over but isn't.)
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

No MLK day for me...

I may get to go to New Orleans with DH in Feb. though

Comment

Julia, I always feel like Christmas ends on the Epiphany. Hence why my tree does not come down until then. Are the ILs coming this weekend or MLK weekend?

No holiday blues here - January is always one big countdown for me: my birthday is at the end of the month.
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
                  Julia, I always feel like Christmas ends on the Epiphany. Hence why my tree does not come down until then. Are the ILs coming this weekend or MLK weekend?
                  That's very Catholic of you, actually. I am going to a church Epiphany party tonight.

They are coming this weekend. It's the one DH has off. They are seriously the king and queen of excessive Christmas spending, so it should be interesting.

Marissa: boo for not getting MLK Day off. My first job had a policy of one holiday per month. In months without holidays, they'd make one up. That was a good office.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                    That's very Catholic of you, actually. I am going to a church Epiphany party tonight.
                    Why thank you! (slightly embarassed because I am not a very good Catholic). Now that I no longer have to worry about scrambling to study or write papers during the Christmas season, my intent this year is to put my tree up the first Sunday of Advent and to take it down right after the Epiphany. I always feel like the holiday spirit does go just a bit beyond New Year's Day. This is probably related to having a mother whom I had to beg in mid-January to take the trees and decorations down for my birthday. One year I came home from college and everything was still up mid-March.

May I ask what an Epiphany party is? I'm intrigued!

Marissa: boo to not having MLK off! After being spoiled by a week off from work, I always felt like it was a nice break that would get me through to Presidents' Weekend.
                    Last edited by scarlett09; 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: grammar
                    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Presidents' Weekend.
                      No such luck here either...we do get good Friday off, though. And we get some non-traditional holidays like the day after Thanksgiving off.

My parents used to throw Epiphany parties too!

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
                        May I ask what an Epiphany party is? I'm intrigued!
                        Well, in this case, it's with the choir, so I think it's mostly a "we survived 11 masses in one weekend" party.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                          No such luck here either...we do get good Friday off, though. And we get some non-traditional holidays like the day after Thanksgiving off.

My parents used to throw Epiphany parties too!
                          We get all holidays that the NY Stock Exchange gets - by fluke we didn't get a New Years Holiday off. Boo! We do get MLK, but do not get day after Thanksgiving. *shrug* All in all, my company is pretty generous with vacation time.
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

This is actually the first year I haven't had major post-holiday blues. I'm normally solidly in hibernation mode by now, but this is also the first year that we really didn't have a typical holiday vacation (thanks to residency interviews) and I don't hate my job with the fiery passion of a thousand suns, so it's a lot easier to go back to
                            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

My in-laws have an Epiphany Party every year. We keep our tree up until after the Epiphany. Or Valentine's Day. Outside lights come down by St. Pats. Or the 4th of July.
                              Veronica
                              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Working...
                              X