Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Guilty Pleasure Blogging Secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guilty Pleasure Blogging Secrets

I came upon this article and thought it was really interesting:

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/20...ogs/index.html

I'm a childless, Catholic, full-time employee and I LOVE most of these Mormon blogs for all the reasons mentioned in the article. I follow two of those mentioned in the article regularly as well as another not-quite-as-popular one by a girl who used to live in the area. Most of the other married couples at the med school happen to be Mormons, and they are astounded when I understand terms like "ward" and "endowment."

Just curious what blogs everyone else follows. Any guilty pleasure blogs you wouldn't normally admit to?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Interesting article. I had no idea this subculture of blogs existed. Truthfully, I'm not much of a blog reader. I usually end up thinking..."why am I sitting here reading this? I have so much to do." The continual to-do list playing through my head just kills all blog-reading pleasures. My guiltiest computer addiction is iMSN. Even the blogs.
    Last edited by Ladybug; 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM.
    -Ladybug

Comment

I admit that I read some of these too ... and then I end up feeling guilty and bad about myself (LOL) but I always end up going back. I'm also drawn to dooce in a perverse way even though I don't like her at all. I just need to see that someone is doing it worse than I am (in my opinion!).

I think that to a degree the mormon culture makes things easier on moms....there is no pressure to ... you know .... win a nobel prize while single-handedly homeschooling and getting your kids into Harvard. It seems to me to be very much more family-oriented focusing on the joys of raising children and working together as a family. I'm not a mormon, and I live in a culture that tells me my children must start sports at age 3, that I should be prepping them for college by Kindergarten, that I'm not a good enough mom unless I'm doing a, b, or c. These pressures seem to exist less within the mormon culture. It seems that they help each other more with parenting and have their families more involved (something that I wish I had).

Anyway, I keep my own blog, which I find to be too negative to share with the masses (sorry) if I compare it to the mormon blogs (hence my bad feelings about myself!)

Kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
        I think that to a degree the mormon culture makes things easier on moms...
        Yup. They have *tons* of support, and it makes all the difference.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Interesting, the Mormans we knew at med. school were the complete opposite. They only had 1-2 children, and were in their late 20's like us. The wives also worked outside the home. In fact I did home daycare for one family and the wife was a nurse at the university. I've tried to get into blogs, but can't. I'll really only read a blog if someone posts their link on Facebook.
          Last edited by Chrisada; 01-20-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I read a lot of blogs but I know all of the people that write them personally, I just can't get in to reading blogs of people I don't know.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I don't read personal blogs. I'm so involved with other people's issues all day at work that the last thing I want to do is read more emotional spewing. (besides you guys) I do read a few cooking blogs- Noble Pig and Smitten Kitchen are my two favorites.

Seriously, someone today sent in the suggestion for a money saving venture that we turn down the heat and provide snuggies with the company logo. and they were serious.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                I don't read personal blogs. I'm so involved with other people's issues all day at work that the last thing I want to do is read more emotional spewing. (besides you guys) I do read a few cooking blogs- Noble Pig and Smitten Kitchen are my two favorites.

Seriously, someone today sent in the suggestion for a money saving venture that we turn down the heat and provide snuggies with the company logo. and they were serious.

Jenn
                My company once gave out company-logo snuggies as the thank you for donating blood gift. So...they do make them.
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I follow ThePioneerWoman.com too

And this site: http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/

I think I read the blogs I do read, though, because I either enjoy the positive outlook of many of them (especially the NieNie Dialogues--if you don't know, she was burned over 80% of her body in a plane crash and still leads such a beautiful life) or the topics are interesting.

I cant get on board with them all, though--I read this one for awhile and stopped because...well...she's a bitch. (No, and not because she is an atheist) Ironically, she is a doctor's wife

http://www.rechelleunplugged.com/
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I love food blogs.
                    Annie's Eats
                    Bakerella (although once she published her book, it became much about those adventures, which I'm not really interested in)
                    Smitten Kitchen
                    Bake or Break
                    I kind of browse them for ideas. Or, maybe to make myself hungry.

My DH's aunt (married to an Ortho surg BTW) is who I call for advice, to vent, etc. She is also a family counselor, so I call her for parenting advice and ideas constantly. She has been writing a book for YEARS, and has finally decided to write a blog. I think it's ready to launch in the next couple of weeks, so I will be reading that. Don't worry, I'll be giving all of iMSN the details when it's ready!
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'll admit it...I like the seedier side of the net: www.gofugyourself.com It is mindless good tabloid fun, but kind of mean so beware of diminishing karma points if you enjoy it too much
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I'll admit it...I like the seedier side of the net: www.gofugyourself.com
                        Their live blogging coverage of Olympic figure skating was EPIC.

Comment

I love gofugyourself!!!! Some of those outfits are epic!

I also read cakewrecks everyday, just cuz it's short, sweet, and hilarious.

I also admit that I loved the live blogs for Olympic figure skating. AMAZING! I used to also go on the message boards for American Idol back in the day. Talk about crazies! Eeesh.
                          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I occasionally peruse some of Mormon Mommy blogs of our friends. Some have moved away and it's a nice way to keep up on what's going on with them. DH's program is exceedingly family-friendly so we have a significant Mormon population. The spouses are some of the smartest, funniest, sweetest, most giving women I've ever met. Love them to pieces. And y'all know that I'm not a particularly shiny happy optimistic chick, but I truly adore these gals.

Comment

Cakewrecks kills me- I've been in my office crying, snorting, with tears running down my face at times.

J.

Comment

Working...
                              X