Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who's ready for snow/ice/general destruction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOre freezing rain/ sleet here about 4 inches so far!

Here is the first tree branch cracking!treebranch.JPG
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

To my surprise school was cancelled today. We barely got an inch or two, but that's how us New Mexicans roll!

I sent the girls out to play with the neighborhood kids in the park across the street from our house. Before I knew it, there were 8 kids inside the living room playing wii and sipping hot cocoa! Somehow my house got designated the snow day house!
      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

We didn't get the ice like that - but the snow is INSANE.

Comment

MDPhDWife, we've got 3 inches in the backyard and even without the snow I would say it's cold as hell out there... If it makes you feel better my house got designated the "snow day" house for our local stray cat. She keeps trying to come inside even though my huge dogs are standing right at the door. It's apparently cold enough for her to want to risk life and limb to get inside a warm house, I feel so bad.

Comment

Wow, it looks really bad! I just talked to a friend of mine in Chicago and they're going to hunker down at home and ride it out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go out to enjoy the sun in a little bit with dd and dh (who should be coming home any minute). Who says it only rains in Seattle?!?!
            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

School will be out here tomorrow too. Lots of sleet (which is WAY better than freezing rain) here and the wind is picking up. The younger two boys are playing at the neighbor's house, and the oldest (+ girlfriend) are watching old episodes of Chuck. DH is home, which is good, because someone will have to take Jessica home at some point!
              Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Mrs.BS- No kidding about it being cold! I thought it was just my house with the constant in and out traffic. I woke up this morning wearing a tank top & pj pants, but it wasn't long before I had to dig out the thermals I bought for our Colorado trip.

I wonder if tomorrow will be a snow day as well. I doubt they'll do a 2hr delay since Wednesdays are already 1/2 days for the elementary schools. So much for getting any of my errands done. Too much hassle to bundle & pack up the kids. I'd rather just hibernate.

Sheesh, this is making me wish we could do intern year in Tucson instead of having to wait until PGY2.
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Ok so we are totally Florida...and we aren't sure what to do, if anything. Russ' car wheel well has frozen slush accumulated such that it touches his tire. I've tried to post a pic but it keeps crashing my iPhone. When he tries to brake he just hears ice crunching. Is this normal? Is there something we need to do to the car so he can drive it tomorrow? I'll upload the pic to facebook if it'll help. He said he barely made it up the small hill to get home and saw people sliding back down not able to drive up the icy road. We aren't supposed to get any more wetness, but the temp isn't supposed to get over 22 F.
                  Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

" I get a shiver in my bones just thinking about your weather! "

Comment

Laugh now because we'll be laughing in July. OK, fine, summer here is still miserably hot, but at least it's not Arizona hot.
                      Cristina
                      IM PGY-2

Comment

After everyone's tales of winter woe...I actually am starting to love my AZ dry summers.

Comment

We got about a tenth of an inch of ice this morning. DH slipped and fell on our front steps, straining his lower back. I went out later in the morning and definitely was slipping around in our driveway. My round trip from campus today was alright, although it was super foggy on the way home this evening. The bridge looked like it was going off into a cloud! I expect not to have any issues trekking to campus tomorrow. They are still calling for rain here, so we will see.

I hope everyone out there who is getting any ice or snow stays safe and dry!
                          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Our little school district is already closed for tomorrow and the city has declared a state of emergency. We have no buses, so this is very very unusual. Closing school before the snow is even here is very rare for Michigan. And we have a nice sheet of ice on our driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                              Ok so we are totally Florida...and we aren't sure what to do, if anything. Russ' car wheel well has frozen slush accumulated such that it touches his tire. I've tried to post a pic but it keeps crashing my iPhone. When he tries to brake he just hears ice crunching. Is this normal? Is there something we need to do to the car so he can drive it tomorrow? I'll upload the pic to facebook if it'll help. He said he barely made it up the small hill to get home and saw people sliding back down not able to drive up the icy road. We aren't supposed to get any more wetness, but the temp isn't supposed to get over 22 F.
                              Garrett used a rubber mallet to knock the ice out of the wheel well of our cars. Maybe try that. Garrett plans to take the train tomorrow. Is there a DART station near you? Could he make it to the station and then take DART to the new station near Parkland?
                              Veronica
                              Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Michele, as the survivor of countless midwestern winters, my advice is to kick the heck out of the slush if it's not too solid. It's quite cathartic! Otherwise, the mallet method is also effective.
                                I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                                X