Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Who's ready for snow/ice/general destruction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
    Michele, as the survivor of countless midwestern winters, my advice is to kick the heck out of the slush if it's not too solid. It's quite cathartic! Otherwise, the mallet method is also effective.
    I was just telling DH that this is the only thing I like about snow/ice. It is more enjoyable than stepping on crunchy leaves. I hope the mallet works. I've been tempted to get out of my car at lights and kick off other peoples' wheel wells.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We braved the roads and went to Central Market for dessert It's really bad--the access road to the highway is a sheet of ice still. Yet, our street is clear, except for the sheet of ice behind our driveway.

I'm not sure if I'm going into work tomorrow. I wish I knew what the highways were like. I REALLY don't want to VPN in tomorrow--most of my company's North Texas employees (somewhere around 30-40k) VPN'ed in. Trying to do anything on the network was ridiculous.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We got 6-8 inches overnight last night, then it was clear all day; as I was driving home, the freezing rain started, and it's not coming down super-hard, but I can already hardly see my tire tracks in the driveway. If it's icy-slippery out in the morning, I'll probably work from home. Snow's no problem, but I don't want to drive on ice, even though we don't actually have hills here.

Michele, you crack me up. The slush will fall off if you don't kick it off. I love kicking it off, too.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Thanks guys for helping me out. I know you all are groaning and laughing. This is the coldest place I've ever lived (ok so technically I was born in NJ in July, but my parents moved us to FL in October). I can't wait to get back to the beach so I can laugh and groan at the tourists feeding the sea gulls!
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I'm so glad there are other people who enjoy kicking the slush off. I actually get excited when I leave work and see that there are slush piles around my tires!
            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I am so hot! It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow. I need a celing fan in my bedroom, STAT!

I don't understand wanting four seasons, unless they are: summer, summer, tourist, and summer.

Guest room is clean and available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Damn, just found out we got upgraded to an ice storm warning. VERY concerned about DH driving in tomorrow at 5:30 AM. We live off a major interstate, so most of the commute shouldn't be too bad for him. Just worried since last year he got stuck (post-call) after one of our big snowstorms for 1.5 hours on one of the interstate off-ramps. Poor guy is already on call on his birthday, this just makes it worse.

One of our friends who got pulled for jury duty as a teacher actually thinks that court will be open tomorrow. :snicker: She is completely clueless that the legal system will come to a grinding halt if there is no electricity or heat because the ice brought down all the power lines.

Chicago peeps: I saw the thundersnow on TV, pretty awesome!
                Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                  I am so hot! It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow. I need a celing fan in my bedroom, STAT!

I don't understand wanting four seasons, unless they are: summer, summer, tourist, and summer.

Guest room is clean and available!
                  Still looking for a receptionist?
                  Kris

Comment

Don't throw snowballs at me, but I'm entirely disappointed by this snowstorm. I've seen much worse on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Everything I've been reading and hearing made it sound like it was supposed to be the storm of the century. What a flop.

That said, I feel for those of you who had to drive in this weather. That sucks.
                    Cristina
                    IM PGY-2

Comment

Well as suspected, school is closed tomorrow.

I'm freezing to death! It supposed to get to negetive temps tomorrow night w/o windchill! Brrr!
                      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I'm so unimpressed by the snow totals so far. We were told to expect a foot or more, some areas only got 4-6 inches. Lame. The local media was totally hyping this up, people were raiding grocery stores ... so stupid. We live in Michigan! It's winter! It snows!
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

We're having rolling blackouts. They haven't hit my house (that I know of -- just got up at 6:40) so we have flashlights, blankets and sweatshirts ready. All the museums are closed (not that we'd go on a day like today) but they never close! Yesterday the outlets near my house were closed (I know because a friend works for the the concierge or hr or something over there).
                          Veronica
                          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

A has no preschool this morning because the schools are on a two hour delay that is probably because of the wind chills not the snow. The wind chill is currently -19.
                            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have a feeling the schools here might have to remain closed tomorrow. We're supposed to have similar wind chills with highs in the single digits.
                              -Deb
                              Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We got freezing rain most of the night, I think...by the time I went outside about 8, there was just a lot of slush everywhere (along with the snow that's been here for a while); not very slippery or even very frozen. I decided to risk driving in. If it gets much colder and this stuff on the ground freezes solid, we're all screwed. Early morning yoga was canceled this morning; I'm glad I got the email, or I might have headed out to it.
                                Sandy
                                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Working...
                                X