Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Wisdom teeth part 1942654

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisdom teeth part 1942654

Dh has had every complication known to man... His extractions are the gift that keeps on giving. Now he's got exposed bone along his gumline on one side.

It's not dry socket (he had that, too), and isn't causing him pain yet.

Has anyone else had this happen after a wisdom tooth extraction? Dr. Google says it is something that can appear 4 weeks after the surgery--and here we are....
    married to an anesthesia attending

OMG - that sounds really bad. I have no experience with it. Weren't the dry sockets enough? You also have to love that this comes about on the weekend. Hope he gets this all resolved and feels better soon.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Ugh...that made me shiver. Hope it heals quick! I'd have strong pain reliever on hand...
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yikes! I have no idea, but I'd be in the surgeon's office asap...
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

He's going tomorrow. His oral surgeon is on vacation, and back in his office tomorrow.

I feel badly now for being such a bitch during his recovery.

Comment

Omg Alison ... NOW you can feel sorry for him. He was being a baby before. Lol. That sounds awful. I'm glad it isn't bothering him right now. I hope this is a quick, *gulp* painless fix!

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

It's really sucky. Two days after the surgery, dh noticed that the surgeon had cut through his gum and had left a flap of loose gum! Whenever he'd swallow, dh would partially swallow the flap of skin and be in terrible pain. He went back, and the surgeon cut the flap of skin off, and also took care of some issue with dry socket elsewhere that dh didn't even notice, because the skin flap was so painful.

And now this.

I'm pretty sure he's going to need a skin graft or something. How else do you cover exposed bone?

This guy came highly recommended, but dh said that his hands and fingers are so f-ing big that he shouldn't be trying to do surgery in as small a space as a mouth.

Poor guy!

Comment

That really sucks!
                A graft is the only way to cover it. most likely taken from the palate. Was that flap of skin near the area of exposed bone? Was it supposed to be sewn down? That really stinks!

Comment

I've done gum graft before and will probably have to do it again soon. It isn't that bad. For whatever that's worth. Sorry he's had such a lousy go of this!
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Julia -- was it for a receding gumline?

Dh went in and was told that it was a bone spur. I guess that's good news, because it shouldn't cause pain unless it gets sharp and starts to bother him when his tongue rubs against it. Apparently, they can go in there and file it down.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
                      Julia -- was it for a receding gumline?
                      Yep.

File it down? Ew.
                      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Have you ever had a fluoride varnish applied? It really helped me in one spot, but it's more for the earlier stages before it gets too bad. It flared up for me when I went to San Antonio, and I had to see an emergency dentist there. If he had applied the stuff, I would have been fine, and also have been able to meet DCJenn.

Comment

No... I was in middle or high school when they last did it and have a periodontist appointment in two weeks. I'll be sure to ask about it.

Comment

It's really really great stuff. I have about an 1/8" of recession going, and had the varnish applied (it gets put on like nail polish), and I don't have any sensitivity in that spot. You get it reapplied at each cleaning, so every 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                            X