Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

To pack or not to pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To pack or not to pack?

I'm sure we've covered this before but I couldn't find it in a search. I'll link this thread in the moving sticky. (if someone can add a poll that'd be great - I can't from the iPad)

Do you like to pack? Or would you pay for them to pack it all up? How much would you spend for the packing part? I'm not sure how this compares but I got a rough, over-the-phone estimate of $1800 for just under 2000sqft of stuff. Assuming normal furniture amounts and less than 10,000 lbs.

Just FYI for those who haven't moved much, I was told that for insurance/guarantee, if they pack the box, they are responsible. If I pack the box, they move it, it gets external damage, they are responsible. If there is no evidence of external damage, I'm responsible.

We've always done the pack it up and drive it ourselves kind of moves. This time we are having a company drive the stuff. I don't want to pack it all before I leave. Russ doesn't really have time. I'm thinking it's worth it. Where do you all stand?
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Let them pack it. I hate packing but enjoy the unpacking
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I don't mind packing the stuff, it kinda gives us a chance to get rid of the crap we no longer need. We have always used ABF. It just seems more relaxing not worrying about driving all your junk to your location. I guess it depends on how much stuff you actually have.

Comment

Let them pack. SOOOO worth it. Are you able to get any reimbursement from Russes job if this is "the" move? I have moved 3 times with packing and many, many times without. It is so nice to be able to call, schedule the movers, and have everything packed up in one day. It really takes the stress down 10 notches. Unpacking still takes forever, but packing, which is a monumental job and time suck with 3 little ones? Screw that.
        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We did a full move with North American from CA to MN and I LOVED it. We should have saved the money and used it for the OR move which we're probably goingto pack and load ourself but let ABF move it. I'm still going to bid it but I don't think we can afford a full move going tofellowship rather then a job. Plus a lot of our fragile or valuable stuff is already packed and in storage.
          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We swore off packing ourselves after the last move. Full service or bust.
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We pay for packing...totally worth it especially when you have kids. Just find a good company. 1800 seems very reasonable.
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Let them do it. I'll never do it the other way, EVER again.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                  I'm sure we've covered this before but I couldn't find it in a search. I'll link this thread in the moving sticky. (if someone can add a poll that'd be great - I can't from the iPad)

Do you like to pack? Or would you pay for them to pack it all up? How much would you spend for the packing part? I'm not sure how this compares but I got a rough, over-the-phone estimate of $1800 for just under 2000sqft of stuff. Assuming normal furniture amounts and less than 10,000 lbs.

Just FYI for those who haven't moved much, I was told that for insurance/guarantee, if they pack the box, they are responsible. If I pack the box, they move it, it gets external damage, they are responsible. If there is no evidence of external damage, I'm responsible.

We've always done the pack it up and drive it ourselves kind of moves. This time we are having a company drive the stuff. I don't want to pack it all before I leave. Russ doesn't really have time. I'm thinking it's worth it. Where do you all stand?
                  $1800?? Is that just for the packing? That can't possibly be for the move, too, right? Our move from OH to KS was $11K (full service). We didn't pay for it -- thank God.

Comment

No no, the 1800 was just the packing.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by Shakti View Post
                      $1800?? Is that just for the packing? That can't possibly be for the move, too, right? Our move from OH to KS was $11K (full service). We didn't pay for it -- thank God.
                      I was wondering the same thing. We paid 7500 in '94 for just three of us and very little furniture.
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

It's expensive, but I feel like after you've moved X times, spent Y years in training, and have kids, its something you DESERVE and is worth every penny if you appreciate it. Moving is one of the most stressful life events and many of you have done it repeatedly for years with kids in tow. I'm hoping that our next move will be done by professionals. I'll do any temp relocating for research and fellowship, but when we move for good/with multiple kids, I want help!
                        Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

If it were anyone but you, I would say let them pack for you. They will pack EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Including any mouse nest that might exist. I would also insist on BRAND NEW BOXES, not used ones.
                          Luanne
                          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

They packed our trash on one move.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

We got the official estimate today. 4800 plus the cost to ship the CrapRX (guessing 800). He he....I don't think the car is worth that much money!
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X