Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Medical meetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical meetings

My DH is going to a medical meeting in September in Chicago and I am thinking of going along since we used to live there, I love the city and I'd like to visit with friends there. Is it pretty common for spouses to go along to the meetings? My husband is a fellow and isn't sure how it all works and what it acceptable. His program director mentioned something like "if your wife is going..." so we are thinking it's OK. I am filling out the forms for him and noticed there was a guest registration fee -- do you think I should register as a guest? I'm not sure if there are any spouse programs...I guess I should look into that to see if it's worth the $40. Otherwise I assume I won't really have any reason to actually go to the conference...or will I??? This is all so new!

I have gone on a few conferences with Eric and it is no problem. I didn't register as a guest because I wasn't interested in the guest programs (not a whole lot of substance, in my experience). We usually have gone to either a city I was familiar with where I had an agenda of things to do or a city I wasn't familiar with and I had a list of things to do! It's a great way to get a "cheap" vacation because their air and the hotel and most meals are paid for so all you need is a airline ticket and to pay for your meals.
    The only potential conflicts, and minor ones at that, would be any dinners he is expected to attend as part of the conference. You may not be able to go on some of those if it was paid for as part of the registration package. If a group from his department has plans, you might just want to make sure it's ok if you go to -- and usually it is.
    Have a great time!

Comment

I always go and we have a great time. I usually take any classes I can for Nursing CEUs. We always go to the American College of Chest Physicians in October. This year it will be in Orlando. Therre are alwys lots of spouses there. Go and enjoy.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

One other thought: sometimes programs ask residents or fellows (same gender) to share a hotel room to reduce cost. You may need to pay for part of hotel room. Not a big deal, just nice to know upfront.

Comment

I have gone to a few meetings and I highly suggest it! We never register me as a guest, I just pay for my own airfare and meals. Its nice to tag along because you get a free or discounted vacation out of the deal and you can shop or visit area attractions while your husband is at the meeting.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Meetings

I was hoping to go to the IDSA meeting with Thomas in October, but being pregnant has changed that...he is actually going to go it alone...3 weeks before my due date I have always wanted to go to a meeting but we were unable to afford it before...Hopefully next year I'll get to go!

What to you guys all do when you go? Shopping, explore the city???

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I've gone to New Orleans and Miami with Eric for meetings. I think there is another but I can't remember -- maybe I'm thinking of interview trips? Who knows.
              In New Orleans I met up with the wife of one of the students Eric was working with (the meeting was the ACP/ASIM annual meeting and they were both part of the student board of ACP). We hadn't met before but had a great time. We found another spouse or two and they toured around with us as well. The woman I spent time with had been to New Orleans a few times before so she showed us around. I ate way, way too many beignets while I was there! I also check out guidebooks from the library and pick out activities that sound fun.
              In Miami, I just sat on the beach and read books the entire time. The hotel was right on the beach and they provided umbrellas and chairs so it was really nice and relaxing. Eric's evenings were free so we went out to dinner together -- one night with some of the other derm residents. We also called a friend of a friend and she showed us around part of miami and took us to a Cuban restaurant we never would have found on our own. It was a really nice trip.
              It's a great way to get a less expensive vacation together!

Comment

Thanks, ladies.

Good point about the room sharing thing -- actually my DH asked if he should share a room with the other (male) fellow and his program director said, "Unless your wife is going, share a room." This was on e-mail. How would you interpret that? That it's OK for me to go and for us to get our own room? That's what I'm hoping. I am looking into rooms right now and of course the hotel I want to stay at is $219, not the most expensive option they give, but not the cheapest either! I guess I probably shouldn't push it. But then again...

Kris, IDSA is in Boston next year at the end of September/early October -- maybe we can meet up there!!!

Comment

I would interpret that as ok to go! How nice that they'll pay for the whole room.
                  Maybe your DH could ask the person who does the expense processing stuff if there is a cap on hotel room rate/night for fellows. (Usually there is set budget amount allocated for each fellow for travel). If you exceed the allowed amount, you could personally pay the difference. Eric usually stay in a hotel next to the one holding the conference because the conference hotels are usually so expensive. Especially if I am travelling with him -- that way there aren't any issues about the expense.

Comment

We always stay in a hotel "close by" , definitely much cheaper. We like to be alone and away from the crowds, so this is good for us.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by jillflower
                      Thanks, ladies.

Kris, IDSA is in Boston next year at the end of September/early October -- maybe we can meet up there!!!
                      Hey, I'm in Boston! You could meet up with me, too, if you guys end up going!
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Boston

Well, it would be really fun if we could meet up next year in Boston!!! Usually, my husband's partner and he trade off years to go ie last year Thomas didn't go to IDSA, he went to something else...BUT...if I start mentioning it now, then maybe he'll push for them both to go..if not...I just might fly out to Boston on my own...what the heck!!! If my huband can fly out to Cali just a few weeks before I'm due with our 4th child and leave me to fend for myself with our other three...he can just watch them all while I run out to Boston the next year!

kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                        X