Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone else getting (or was) married right after graduation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are getting married in Sept. He will be in his research year. We have yet to figure out where he is doing research and so at this point, we are just hoping he can make it to the wedding and haven't even thought about planning a honeymoon until we have a better idea whats going on. Planning a wedding is stressful enough, I agree with everyone else, wait until you know about orientation. J left the day after med graduation, got to where his residency is, spent a couple weeks getting settled and started orientation pretty quickly. I wouldn't want to be worried that you double booked.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Oh, heh. I didn't answer the original question. Nope, we'd been married for a couple years before the hoary bitch of medicine reared her Gorgon head.

Comment

Originally posted by wildfin View Post
        A little different, but: we got married after his intern year. You don't always get your first choice for vacation time, so we had to take our honeymoon later. Medicine dictates so many aspects of your life, even once you've already entered residency (and I'm assuming beyond as well).
        I like the wait and see approach - once he matches, if there's not enough time, post-pone "the big honeymoon" and consider maybe a quick getaway to tide you over until you can take it.
        This. We got married in May of his intern year. With all of the emotional duress planning and having our wedding created, I probably would have needed to be committed if we had our wedding right after med school graduation. My crazy mother tried to offer me money to have the wedding at that time, but we firmly refused. We took a mini-honeymoon right after our May wedding (3 nights away at a nearby seaside resort) and enjoyed the remaining days at home (he got a full week off after the wedding). We could have taken a full honeymoon then, but neither one of us was keen on getting on an airplane at the crack of dawn the morning after and getting home, only to go back to work the next day. So, we took our honeymoon at the end of the academic year in June since DH's program has a weird scheduling quirk where all the interns get 10 days off at the end of PL-1. It worked out much better for us - there was no stressing when we arrived and we still had 2 days on the back end of the trip before he went back to work.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with everyone else: you need to know his schedule before you plan your honeymoon. But even if you can't take a full out honeymoon right after the wedding, try to take a couple of nights away to enjoy that time together. Even if its a staycation or you shack up at a local hotel, you will enjoy having that time together and not worrying about anything but what to order from room service.
        Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

We married one week after residency graduation on a Saturday. Sunday we loaded our moving truck, Monday we moved all of our posessions to the fellowship site four hours away and returned home in one day. Wednesday we left for a week long honeymoon. The following Friday we left my hometown (residency site) for the fellowship site for good. The following Monday, DH started his fellowship and 5 days later I started a new job. Both of us hit a wall about a week later.
          Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post
            We married one week after residency graduation on a Saturday. Sunday we loaded our moving truck, Monday we moved all of our posessions to the fellowship site four hours away and returned home in one day. Wednesday we left for a week long honeymoon. The following Friday we left my hometown (residency site) for the fellowship site for good. The following Monday, DH started his fellowship and 5 days later I started a new job. Both of us hit a wall about a week later.
            Holy moly! I got tired just reading that!
            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

We're getting married 7 days after the fiance's graduation -- I don't think he minds...it's giving us both something to look forward to with all the anxiety that's going on (match, moving, my really sucky job situation).

With regard to moving -- I am also in a crappy situation in that my fiance will be going to Asia for the month of April, then graduating and marrying in May then honeymoon in June...haha. I plan on househunting/starting the moving process in April and finishing up at the beginning of May when he gets back and can help with moving so that we can hopefully avoid more May/June madness.

Comment

That's exactly why I insisted on the wedding taking place a couple of weeks before graduation. That way I could concentrate on planning and enjoy the honeymoon before packing or searching for an apt. We also petitioned to remain in student housing until the end of the month to buy us some more time (graduation was on the 9th).

Congrats and good luck.

Comment

We married on paper the year he graduated medical school but it took two and a half years until after my undergrad graduation and his compulsory military service before we held the white wedding religious ceremony in Cairo with friends and family. The wedding was seven days after my graduation. We took a short but romantic two day honeymoon which I'll never forget and then we moved to live on the Red Sea while he worked as a doctor in a private clinic. It was the happiest year of my life.
                  Last edited by Cinderella; 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM. Reason: The additional post about Egypt's educational system is long and irrelevant.
                  PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
                  X