Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Summer between 1st and 2nd MS years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer between 1st and 2nd MS years

My DH is trying to figure out what to do this summer between his first and second med school years. He wants to do a surgical residency and most likely a competitive one depending on his board scores (ortho, integrated reconstructive plastics possibly) From what he has read, he is convinced he has to do research and get another publication to help him with residency. Others in his class are telling him how it is his "last summer" so maybe he should take it easy. What do you all think? What did your other halfs do/are doing during this time?? Thanks in advance!!
    High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

My BF did research that summer. The research team he was with the summer before was still working on the same or a similar project, so he just rejoined them.
    I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

My DH had classes, no break. Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Comment

I know that most of his surgical friends went to Peru (or other locations) to work in a hospital and then travel a bit between 1&2. Then they did research/worked on getting published between 3rd & 4th, as well as during 4th. I really love 4th year!!

Comment

I'm probably no help. DH stayed home with our newborn when I returned to work. It was great for the two of them.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

My DH worked as a firefighter/paramedic until third year. He also did research at the same time. He absolutely busted his butt. It paid off. He ended up at his #1 choice for residency, and has never lacked for job offers. He is the kind of person that really can't slow down, though (as we speak he's off working as an EMS medical director in Ohio for this week, even though we live in IL). I don't know if everything would have worked out the same way if he didn't do as much, but he and I always felt he put himself in the best possible position. I can't speak to other specialties, but I do know that among DH's residency classmates, they were all the same way. DH actually had the fewest accomplishments, on paper, of any of them. His med school classmates were a bit more of a mix as to what they did during breaks, but the ones that had glimmers of competitive residencies "worked" in some capacity during all breaks.
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Dh went into radiology and worked as a counselor for students of color in our neighborhood. He helped them with science and math and took them on field trips. It was just enough work to keep him busy but not too much to stress him out. Take advantage of the last summer! A lot of his peers went abroad to "work"
              Danielle
              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

My husband went to be a seasonal park ranger. He was definitely of the "last summer" mindset.
                Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

DH did research through a school-sponsored program the summer before MS1 and plans to do the same program this summer. It pays $3k (YAY!) and it really wasn't demanding--plus he gets a week off for vacation. I was REALLY worried about it last summer, but we both loved it. Does your school have a similar program?

Other students said their projects weren't so hot, but his has been really good to him. He was invited to present it at the med school and a "real live" research conference. He got awards for both presentations and the abstract was published by the conference. And it got us a (mostly) free trip to New Orleans. Lots of stuff for the CV. Hopefully a possible reference from the doc, too.

Look into it!

ETA: Most of the specialties DH thinks would interest him are competitive, so he is "trying to get ahead"
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Mine also did research at a local hospital in our home state (ie, not affiliated with his med school). He did get a publication out of it but I don't know how much of an edge it gave him in terms of matching into a competitive specialty (urology). He did get paid a nice stipend which he used to buy my engagement ring, so ... there's that.
                    Last edited by migirl; 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM.
                    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Dh did research that summer. It paid, which was important. Most of his classmates either did the volunteer in south America with religious medical group then travel or just travel. Most of his classmates were wealthy too.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Mine also did research through a program at his school in the area he thought he was interested in.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Thanks all! This is a big help! We are hoping he finds something with a stipend

@sooner - his school is suppose to have a meeting with the MS1s on possible research opportunities this summer - hopefully there will be something there like you described!
                          High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

DH knew he wanted to go into ortho, so we drove across country and spent the summer in LA while he did research with a ped orthopod at CHLA. He got a pub out of it.

Comment

Dh is trying for rads so he did research. His last "summer" is April and May MS4 year!
                              Brandi
                              Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X