Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Happy Match Day!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats and good luck on the hunt for somewhere to live! DH got his top choice as well. We are feeling very thankful.

Comment

Congrats everybody!!!! My BF matched at his "number 1A", a term we made up yesterday. If anybody remembers, he was having a hard time choosing between two places. One big name place in a big city (aka better for me to relocate) or a place in a smaller city (his hometown/an hour away from my hometown) that was courting him pretty hard.

He ended up ranking the bigger city #1 because of the name of the place. He thought it would open more doors. And also because it was my #1, because I thought it would be easier to find a job. He ranked the other place #2. About a week after he turned in his match list, we both started thinking that we'd be happier at #2, since it was close to family/friends, had a low cost of living along with a surprisingly high salary, it is only an hour and a half from where we live now so I can stay here until I find a job that I actually want (or my lease ends, whatever comes first). Plus, I realized that I had a lot of acquaintances in the bigger city, but no close friends. I have a ton of friends in #2, which would make residency a far better experience for me! Of course, I didn't tell him my doubts, and he didn't tell me his, because we knew we'd be happy at #1, we just would be happier at #2.

So of course, when he read off #2, his family and I were yelling like it was #1, so he knew I was okay with it. Once we told each other our doubts about #1, we decided to call #2 #1A, because we decided it really wasn't our #2. Yes, we are weird, but we are also extremely happy.
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Yay, I'm happy it worked out for you both in the end!
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

So, where IS #1A? inquiring minds want to know...

J

Comment

#1A is in Milwaukee. We're in Madison right now, so it will be an interesting change of pace, but I'm looking forward to it!

Comment

Congrats everyone! So excited Match day has come & gone! I'm so excited that we are staying in NYC!!!

Comment

Congratulations!
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Wow lots of peeps not moving it seems! We're staying put for PGY1, but will have to move for PGY2. It seems like it going to be an incredibly short period of time to move!

I know some of you here have had to do it. How have you managed? Did you have to use vacation time at the end of intern year?
                  Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
                    #1A is in Milwaukee. We're in Madison right now, so it will be an interesting change of pace, but I'm looking forward to it!
                    Congratulations! My husband is kind of obsessed with Milwaukee. I'm constantly talking him out of it (nothing against it... just want nonstop flights to my hometown).

ChristinaMarie? Where are you headed? (Or not headed. Lots of staying put this year.)
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We are staying put with our family and house. Loving the idea of not moving, like the others staying put, but will miss all of our friends who are moving away from us this summer.
                      Last edited by lovelight; 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                        Wow lots of peeps not moving it seems! We're staying put for PGY1, but will have to move for PGY2. It seems like it going to be an incredibly short period of time to move!

I know some of you here have had to do it. How have you managed? Did you have to use vacation time at the end of intern year?
                        DH is on the scheduling committee for his program, and I know they had to schedule several weeks of vacation at the end of 3rd year for anyone who might be moving away for fellowship. Maybe intern programs do something similar?
                        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

DH gets one week, not even a full week to move for fellowship. His last day here is technically July 1st but his first day in OR is also July 1st, we are leaving the morning of 6/26 but we have known residents who had to get on a red-eye to make their next training whether that was residency or fellowship.

I think Ortho has it best since their fellowships (at least the ones that I know of) don't start until 8/1.
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                            I think Ortho has it best since their fellowships (at least the ones that I know of) don't start until 8/1.
                            True story!
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Congrats everyone!

Corn Poffi - Milwaukee is GREAT - I have family there, so it was high on our list!
                              Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

I'm very excited about Milwaukee! I'm a born-and-bred cheesehead, so I've spent so much time there, I already feel comfortable there! My dad's side of the the family all lives in MKE, along with many of my friends from college, so I'm super happy!!! Plus, the BF and I are die-hard Brewers fans, and we already bought a 20-pack of tckets for the season, so yeah, we're excited. I can't stop smiling. My parents are currently on vacation, so I haven't told them I'll be in MKE...only an hour away from them, which is great. I'm also now only 40 minutes away from my BFF and her brand-new baby, so I'm so excited that I'll get to see him grow up.

Now that it's set in, I am so excited, I can hardly wait!!! I'm just hoping some of my connections will help me find a job quickly. Funny, before I met my BF, I was actually interviewing for jobs in Milwaukee. I've been dying for a change of scenery!

Comment

Working...
                                X