Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Have you seen a huge sandstorm before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen a huge sandstorm before?

Over the years I've seen a few photographs of sandstorms like this one approaching places such as Dubai, KSA and in Iraq. About 6 days ago downtown Kuwait was engulfed in a huge sandstorm. These videos are from the 25th March taken in Kuwait. I always wonder about the meteorological reports on TV in these areas. There are a lot of other spectacular videos about it on Youtube.

This one is from a skyscraper

This one is from a bunch of guys, I think from India, on the ground as they become engulfed in it. They put subtitles on the video.
    *Advisory* There is some adult language overheard though it's not subtitled as well.

This one is where the Kuwait sandstorm hits an oil rig site.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Yikes!

Those are some freaky images. I know my husband saw some when he was in Iraq.

J.

Comment

I've never seen a sandstorm but having lived in West Texas I've experienced some pretty nasty dust storms. I don't miss having to rinse red dirt out of my teeth all spring! Those look worse.

Comment

That's exactly what the Phoenix valley looks like during a monsoon season storm, except with MUCH more lightening.

Comment

Yep,diggity is right!
          We actually do have those and I even think on the weather channel they Frequently replay a clip of a big 1 That ocurred since I've lived out here.

Comment

I found what you both are talking about. Here is a video in Yuma, AZ of a sandstorm/monsoon from the 18th of June 2009. He disabled the embedding so you'll have to double click the video to go directly to the link to watch it. It starts out similar to the sandstorm above and he becomes engulfed in dust and the wind is blowing the palm trees around 3:00 minutes. At 4:00 minutes it starts raining.

PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Whoa! That is really scary!
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I wasn't referring to any particar storm. They're pretty much all like that. Some can be worse than others, but they're all pretty similar.

Comment

Head to Phoenix in August. You'll see it. It's probably the only thing is REALLY miss about AZ. Coolest storms ever.

Comment

That's all I could find of similar ones here. There were other monsoon storm video but they didn't show the beginning coming in the same as the sandstorms and most were thunderstorms with nice lightening shows. I did find a few videos of what the monsoons do to the roads with flash flooding and people daring to drive through it. They say it only takes a few inches of water to sweep the cars away, there can be fast under tows, and I learned you're supposed to drive slowly through the water vs. speeding through it.
                    Last edited by Cinderella; 04-02-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: Because I can spell.
                    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

I saw this amazing timelapse video on CNN today of a 50 foot high dust storm hitting downtown Phoenix yesterday.

CNN link
                      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

~ Rumi

Comment

Heard about that!
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The dust storm yesterday was over a mile high & 100 miles wide. It was by far, according to experts & natives, one of, if not the biggest haboob to ever hit the valley! I was actually caught in it. I was on my way to meet DH @ a Thai restaurant & then to a movie. I had to pull off into a parking lot. I posted on FB when I was sitting in my van...it was harrowing!
                          Last edited by Momo; 07-06-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X