Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Book by Pediatric Resident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book by Pediatric Resident

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/03/31/pediatric-resident/

Sounds interesting...

Not sure what to think about the book.

Of course medical school is not going to teach you everything about guiding the patient through the health care system. Med school is to make sure you have the basic knowledge to take care of a patient and not kill them. Should there be more learning about the health care system in med school? Sure, but how can you fit that in and keep it current, given the constant changes in health care? And will it matter if you teach them how it works in their affiliated hospital only to leave the system for residency? They are going to have to re-learn it anyway.

And it must have been nice to work 12 weeks on, 4 weeks off. And not disrupting the call schedule, yeah right.

DH says he picked up the book at one point and flipped through it, but didn't read enough to get a full opinion.
    Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post

And it must have been nice to work 12 weeks on, 4 weeks off. And not disrupting the call schedule, yeah right.

Okay, that bugs the hell out of me. I would love to hear what her fellow residents thought of her.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I'm predisposed against this book after the little spat with the author of the Underwear Drawer blog, who I love (spat now deleted, but it involved the cover).
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I wonder if she made any friends during residency or if she was despised by her fellow residents.
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
            I'm predisposed against this book after the little spat with the author of the Underwear Drawer blog, who I love (spat now deleted, but it involved the cover).
            I remember this and feel the same way!
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
              I must not be familiar with that...
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                I must not be familiar with that...
                Me either, would love to know the story....
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                  Me either, would love to know the story....
                  ditto
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Nutshell: Michelle Au (http://www.michelleau.com/) wrote a book, had a cover designed, and then this book showed up with an almost identical cover. Michelle had to change hers. Nothing concrete, but suspicious. Michelle had a blog post about it that has subsequently been deleted. (Although you can see her original cover here.)
                    Last edited by oceanchild; 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Wow. Not that I was planning on reading this book anyway, but now I definitely won't! That's a little more than suspicious...
                      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

So the "resident" (I use that term loosely) who wrote the book in the OP might have copied Michelle Au's original book cover? Nice...
                        Tara

Comment

Well, I think these decisions are done more at the publisher level than the author level, but yeah. Classy.

Comment

I'll buy Michelle Au's book for sure. She deserves every and all success! I downloaded a sample of the pediatric resident's book and what I've read is a snooze. And I can't get over the cover stealing. I read Michelle's blog, too. So witty!
                            married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I think it takes a really talented writer to write a "day in the life"-esqe book. Sadly, they'll give a book deal to anybody, so there's a ton of sh!tty ones out there. I love Michelle's blog. I just learned about it recently, but I love it, and would totally buy her book!

I've seen a bit of the book in the OP, and it's pretty terrible.
                              I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Working...
                              X