Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska

Has anybody cruised Alaska before? We are talking about the possibility of doing a cruise prior to the start of residency (since we don't have to spend that time moving, woohoo!) and though I'd look here for likes and gripes on Alaska.

That was my high school graduation present (I had asked from the time I was 12 to go to Alaska or Australia and they kept saying, when you graduate, well I did so we went ). I LOVED it. I really love how we did it too, because we started with a land tour. This is about 10 years ago now, so my memory isn't great, but we started in Fairbanks and took a train to Danali National Park. I LOVED the train ride to the park and the park. It was so beautiful. Then after the land tour it was really nice to get on the boat and not have to travel from hotel to hotel anymore. We used Holland America. The food was amazing. Now, my sisters and I were HUGE outliers when it came to looking at the median age, but we really didn't care becuase we were there to see Alaska, not make friends. If you do it, you MUST have a balcony. Being able to just sit out there and watch the glaciers go by is the best.

Check the weather patterns for the particular stops you are going to. I know you wont go in July, but we did and in Sitka... All it does is rain rain rain. We had a Kayaking outing and let me tell you, it was so miserable they refunded us our money after we had gone and done it. I love the story we have from it, trying to get across the lake with the wind and rain turning us back, but I guess some of the elderly complained about it or something.

The cruise ended in canada. If you are interested you could extend your vacation and hang out there for a couple days too. We just went home. It really depends on how much time you have.

Did I say I LOVED Alaska? I hope to go back one day.
    Last edited by L.Jane; 04-04-2011, 05:19 PM.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Never been but I would LOVE to!! You have to let me know how it is. I've been dying to go to Alaska!!
      High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

Thanks for the info. L. Jane. You made me even more excited at the idea. I WISH, WISH, WISH we had time to do extras before and after, but we have exactly 9 days after I get out of school for the summer before he has to start residency so just enough time to fly and cruise. We actually did look up information about the age of cruisers and just figured we will be on the younger side - though that doesn't turn us off. I think we would enjoy being around a quieter crowd while enjoying the glaciers.

Comment

We did a roundtrip from Seattle about 6 years ago and loved it. Went first week of the season, so it was cooler but cheaper. We didn't book any tours through the ship, I got a traval book in the library and we followed tips for local stuff.

Comment

My sister just went on an Alaskan cruise and had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. As a matter of fact, sne and my BIL plan on renewing their wedding vows in a couple years on an Alaskan cruise.

Comment

A friend of mine went a few years ago and loved it! I hope you end up getting to go!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

No advice...but fiancé (then husband) and I will be cruising to Alaska before residency for our mini-moon. Super excited!

Comment

I've also never been, but my parents were there on one of their "mega-cations". They were there for like five weeks or so, so they did a whole bunch of stuff. Anyway, they went about 7 or 8 years ago, and still cannot stop talking about how amazing it was. They are obsessed.

They also did a cruise, but on one of the smaller ships. . They said it was perfect for the setting, and it was kind of fun to get to know a lot of the people on the boat. (Given, my parents are older, so people were more in their age range).
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I have done an Alaska cruise (on Celebrity). I'm not that crazy about cruising, but it's really useful for Alaska because the places are otherwise really hard to get to. I agree with L.Jane that the balcony is a worthy upgrade. Beautiful views from your room are a perk.

We did a lot of cruise ship outings (funded by my ILs), but if you poke around on the CruiseCritic website you can find lots of local operators without having to go through the ship. (Just make sure they get you back in time!) I ziplined, kayaked, and hiked in search of bears (which were not found). Of the excursions, the ziplining was probably my favorite, but you certainly don't need to be in Alaska to do that.
                    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. We just officially booked the cruise (on Celebrity also, oceanchild)!! If anyone who has been has any pointers on "must-sees" or "not worth it's" I'd be glad to have them. Have started poking around on Cruisecritic just a little, but I am sure I will become more obsessed with it now that we are actually going.

Mrs. MD, what month is your mini-moon? We are going in mid-June, which I think is supposed to be the less rainy/misty time?

Comment

Nothing to add, except I'm jealous. We want to go on one of these when the kids are older. Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

Comment

I would highly recommend getting a book like this, http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Alask...2221870&sr=1-1, it will save you hundreds of $$$. Also bring a raincoat/windbreaker and umbrella because it ALWAYS rains in Sitka.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                            I would highly recommend getting a book like this, http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-Alask...2221870&sr=1-1, it will save you hundreds of $$$. Also bring a raincoat/windbreaker and umbrella because it ALWAYS rains in Sitka.
                            Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they actually made travel books for cruises. I'm going to check out the different options. Maybe Border's even has some left with their going out of business sale...

Comment

I'm also looking for a pair of galoshes for the trip. Anybody have recommendations on brands, where to buy...etc?

Comment

Working...
                              X