Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Moving Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Question

For those of you that have sold a house and moved before when did you have your utilities, etc. turned off? My agent's assistant sent me an e-mail which was not helpful.

We are moving out on Tuesday, the cleaners are coming on Wednesday and closing is Thursday so do I have stuff turned off as of Thursday morning? I'm going to have the phone, internet, and dish turned off as of Tuesday.

Our trash day is Friday and even though closing in Thursday I plan to leave the trash cans out to be picked up on Friday - do you think that is a problem?

Do they really turn off the power, water, etc. or do they just make a note that I'm no longer responsible for it??
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Hmm...I know my sister moved into an apartment where the previous tenants had turned everything off (and they were not supposed to) and she was really annoyed because it cost a nice chunk of change to get it all back on. No idea for an actual home, though.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'd call the utilities and ask; let them know when closing is and ask what the procedure is. They'll probably want a new address to send your final bill to anyway,
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'd coordinate with the purchaser to have utilities shut off on Closing day and their new accounts set up that day.
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Thanks gang - so we'll all learn something!

The water/electric company doesn't shut them off they just take a date for a final reading for our bill. The gas company actually does shut things off if the new owner doesn't call before the closing date to transfer/set-up things, its not the sellers responsibility. I just gave them the closing date and they take care of it.

The cable/internet/phone company is able to turn things off from the outside I just have to take the equipment to our local office. Yay! No waiting around for a service call!

The trash company will only pick up on their regular pick up day so it was either have them pick up the cans (and their contents) 4 days before we move out or the day after closing. So I chose the later and the new owners will just have to deal. I don't think its practical for us to not have a trash can/recycling our last 4 days in the house.

They're already having their mail sent here which I think is a little annoying. Especially when we get things from their new employer that says - please sign and send back as soon as possible on the outer envelope. Oh well! We have a pile of their crap on top of our fridge.

Learn something new every day

Comment

Wouldn't the new owners be happy that they don't have to go buy new trash cans?
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

They don't buy them, the services here in town provide them and they don't have to use the same one we did. There are a couple of trash companies they can choose from.

Comment

Ah, gotcha. Well I still think they can suck it up!
                Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I've seen trash in the curb several times after people in the neighborhood have moved out. I think our seller did it. I don't think its a big deal.
                  Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Ok, I have another one.

Do I need to empty my canisters (flour, sugar, rice) before I pack them??? Keep in mind our stuff will be in storage for about 6 weeks... But can those things go bad? The do not pack list only says not to pack food in glass jars...

Comment

I don't think they'll go bad but I'd only pack them if they're in absolutely airtight canisters. And make sure the outside is all clean or it could be bug city.
                      Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                      Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                      Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

That's a good point - I think I'll just empty them.

Comment

I always empty them because I'll be washing them anyway.

Comment

I'd empty them because they'd likley be jostled in transit. That could be a mess to clean up.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
                            X