Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

and so it goes-Looking for House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and so it goes-Looking for House

FDH and I drove around Tampa all day yesterday and today looking for the right house. I thought for sure we'd get a steal in this market but apparently things are more expensive than I thought. I've never rented a house before - only apartments so this is all new. Today we viewed one that can only be described as a Hippy psychedelic nest house. The kitchen had a washer and dryer in the middle of it. The back yard had a tent with 4 hay bailes surrounding some sort of wooden pallet shrine, and the bathroom had a shower meant for anyone shorter than 5' 2" and was small black and white checkered tile on the floor, walls AND ceiling.

We have 3 months till we move so I'm not all that worried. It would be nice to check it off the list early though.

I have a friend moving to the Spring Hill area, and the houses she's looked at have all been steals. She's buying though, so I'm not sure what renting one would be like there. Good luck!
    ~Heather~
    Wife to pre-med student; mommy to a four & three year old.

Comment

You can't really rent for a steal. Rental prices have not gone down, unfortunately. Home owners are renting to help pay their upside down mortgages. When we were looking at rentals in Orlando, I was shocked at the pricing of the rentals. Buying, on the other hand, I think you can find some great steals. Renting is a lot more of a stable cost and not subject to the same swings in the real estate market. We rented a three bedroom apartment for more than our 4 bedroom home's mortgage (the one we had in residency in South Carolina BEFORE the bubble burst) by a significant amount.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I wish I was comfortable enough to buy but we're both still in school and the idea of buying a house on 100% loans and no income is so scary to me. Maybe next year but for now, the search continues. I'm hoping I meet some nice old man in the grocery store that wants to rent his house to the clean, trustworthy future Doctor and his teacher wife.

Comment

I'm not trying to suggest you buy at all. That was not my intent. Unfortunately, the deals just aren't there for renters. I hope you find one and prove me wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I don't think you can get a mortgage sans proof of income anymore.

Comment

It's sad but true. Mortgage payments on the condo that we live in would be way less than our rent

Comment

When we were looking for rentals in OR anything that seemed to good to be true was - watch out.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Unfortunately, when the housing market goes down, the rental market goes up - I'm sure you will find something though!!
                  High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

Working...
                  X