Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Honestly, what's WRONG with people??!!--In the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly, what's WRONG with people??!!--In the news

WTHeck?? Children are defenseless in the face of this kind of behavior by adults. What is wrong with people??

Maybe this should be in "Debates," but I'm taking this risk that no one could defend this...

Teacher on leave after Osama comment
    By Liz Goodwin

We wrote about how some teachers and parents were struggling with how to explain the significance of Osama bin Laden's death to young kids, some of whom didn't even know who he was. Well, it looks like one Texas teacher would have been better off if he had skipped the subject all together.
    A Muslim-American student has accused her 9th grade Algebra teacher at Clear Brook High School in Friendswood, Texas, of joking with her that she must be "sad" because her "uncle" died the day after bin Laden's death.
    "The student did the right thing and immediately notified an adult regarding the teacher's comments. The principal at Clear Brook High School notified the child's parents and has been in communication with the family," spokeswoman Elaina Polsen of the Clear Creed school district told the AP. The teacher is on leave while the district investigates.
    The student's mother, who refrained from disclosing the girl's identity in order to avoid inviting any undue public attention, told ABC's Cynthia Cisneros what happened. "The teacher told the student that 'I bet you're grieving.' And she basically looked at him and said, 'What are you talking about?' And he said, 'I heard about your uncle's death,' and she said wow, because she understood that he was referring to Osama bin Laden being killed and was racially profiling her," she said.
    The mother said her daughter began crying in class, and that when a student told the Algebra teacher that it was over his comment, he just "giggled" and walked away. She says her daughter is happy fellow students stood up for her.

Sadly it doesn't surprise me...just another rude/insensitive a$$hole.

Comment

wowza!
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I am sick to death of the bullying that occurs in our schools, perpetrated by both students and faculty. It infuriates me that children have to deal with this kind of BS on a regular basis.
        Kris

Comment

When I read about this it reminded me of the time in Texas when I was about 17-18 and I'd made a Muslim friend in PE class and she was giving me information about Islam. She wore the hijab and a long sleeve t-shirt and pants under our issued gym uniform. That's what had me approach her in the first place to ask her about it. So one day as a social experiment I decided to wear the niqab to school. I wrapped this floral table cloth around my head and pinned it so there was a slit for the eyes. I was in that phase where I was trying many different looks, self-discovery, self-exploration, ect. I'd decided I was going to do it for a whole week but I stopped after the first day when the PE coach looked at me and about had a heart attack in front of the entire gym class. He said something along the lines of, "OMG, WTH are you wearing?" To my surprise the punk rock boys in my class defended me saying to the coach I was a muslim now, which I really wasn't. He left me alone after that but I was so embarrassed under my sheet on that first day that I didn't continue the experiment. I look back and laugh at myself for the things I did now. Knowing how embarrassed I felt then I can imagine how it must have felt to be verbally attacked like that by the teacher, especially because it seems more on a personal level.
          PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Ugh!!!
            High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
              But, one quibble with the article: He wasn't "racially profiling her". "Muslim" is not a race. You will find Muslims in every color of mankind.
              Unless, of course, he actually didn't KNOW she was muslim, and was ASSUMING that, based on her race.
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

What a jerk!
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

This story has me seething. Our kids have attended some schools where the teachers were BY FAR the biggest bullies in the building. Dude is a fucking douchenozzle of the first order. .

Comment

Assholian behavior of the first order.

J.

Comment

Well, if she were Arab or had an Arab name then he may have been profiling her?

Comment

This is unbelievable. People can be so horrible!
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Ugh. What a creep! Teachers can be awful bullies.
                          Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

As a high school teacher, I am pretty confident as to why this happened. There are a lot of teachers who, for whatever reason, need to be "cool" amongst the students. They gossip about other teachers to the students, they tell the students all the goings on of the faculty lounge, they text students. I would have to say, especially because in the article it said he giggled about it, that he was looking for the approval of the kids. This, in my opinion, makes it all the worse.
                            Jen
                            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Wow, I am just...wow...can't even find words.
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X