Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

An informal poll on representation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An informal poll on representation

I'm waiting for the state senate to come back from dinner break and bored, and this is something I've been thinking about. I'm putting it in anonymous poll format because I'm not out to embarrass anyone. Just wondering how far off my reality is from everybody else's.

How many of the following can you name?

For where you currently live...

...your US Representative
    ...the congressional district number (ex: CO-7)
    ...your state senator
    ...the state senate district number
    ...your state representative
    ...the state representative district number
    ...the mayor of your town
    ...your city councilmember
    ...your two US senators (count one point for each)

Poll answer is the total number you know.
    9.09%
    22.73%
    9.09%
    13.64%
    4.55%
    4.55%
    13.64%
    13.64%
    0.00%
    9.09%
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Know all but the state senate/rep district numbers. (DH and I get into politics though )

Comment

I'm ashamed to say 2...if you count the Representative from my hometown, which is a suburb of where we currently live. I only know the mayor because he just resigned over some scandal.

The sad thing is, I tried to research all this in the most recent election...could find almost nada info and most of what I did find was heavily biased.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It's really difficult to just find out basics here, too. When we lived in WA, since they have vote-by-mail they also have the entire state voting pamphlet online and easy to find. Not so much here. I've never received a voter's pamphlet in all the years we've lived and been registered voters in our state. I don't even know if there IS a pamphlet.

Comment

...I just moved! No fair!

Comment

All 10, baby. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the Mayor has lunch in my neighborhood pretty frequently, we're in the middle of a 4-way heated city council seat election (District One!), and my state Representative is also more commonly known around the elementary school as Bella's dad (and they live 5 streets over.) (and Bella has a serious crush on my dude) and who could forget Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn. It was sort of embarrassing- he was the Grand Marshall for the Battle of Flowers Parade this year and as he wound his way through, the silence was deafening. Not exactly a heartfelt welcome to the Senator...

But I grew up in DC and that is the town sport.

Jenn

Comment

My hang up is the numbers, I have no idea what the numbers are
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I used to know almost all of them, but w/the recent elections, a LOT of it changed here. Sam Brownback is our Governor now, every single local mayor appeared in an ad for him, and sadly, that's indicative of the politics of the entire area.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
                  Is it weird that I looked up the congressional districts for every place on our match list? Yeah, probably.

I don't think there's any good reason to know the district numbers, really. But we're working on redistricting right now, and the numbers are thrown around all the time like they matter. So that was kind of why I was curious.
                  Last edited by oceanchild; 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. MD, Esq. View Post
                    That's my issue as well. If I were back in Texas I could name it off very easy. Maybe give you some state broad of Ed names along with my Justice of the Peace and probably my County Clerk. Oh what can I say... I'm a Poli Sci grad and still get and read Texas Monthly.
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
                      That's my issue as well. If I were back in Texas I could name it off very easy. Maybe give you some state broad of Ed names along with my Justice of the Peace and probably my County Clerk. Oh what can I say... I'm a Poli Sci grad and still get and read Texas Monthly.
                      This. If I was back across the river, I could tell you pretty much everything. Somehow we moved to a smaller state and I still can't figure out who's who amongst our politicians.

I would really give myself a 3.5, as I knew the US senators and congressional district. I thought I knew the Congressional rep, but I was thinking of the old guy whose last name is similar to the new guy. So yeah, a 3.5 sounds about right. And I have no clue if they have city councils or mayors here. They are never in the news, so I think they don't exist?
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Whew. I am with the majority of the political nincompoops here. In my defense, I always research as much as I can before going to vote.
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Even though we moved to PA almost 4 years ago, I still follow NYC politics more and know more players there than here. I just don't think that our local mayor has as much clout as Bloomberg, although I guess I should at least know the Senators.

Comment

I've lived here too long not to know all the answers to those questions. Also I worked in some capacity the last election day in November. Now if I moved to another state, which I'm crossing my fingers I hope we do come residency, I can't say I would know as much.
                            PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I know all of them but the district rep number and the state rep's name. I've met her at an event but I can't recall it now. It helps that we are in a teeny tiny town and I'm a political junkie. We also have our U.S. Rep (LaTourette) living in town so that makes it easier. What doesn't help is that they are rarely who I voted for....
                              Angie
                              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                              X