Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Trivial causes you would devote yourself to:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alison - Your daughter is still a baby and should have whatever it takes for her to grow. She's fine!
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

That would totally be mine!

- Getting mothers to STOP beating up on each and comparing themselves to others when you have NO idea what their situation is!
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Saying, "these ones" I just heard two people say it back to back. I can't figure out if is is a midwest thing or what.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisada View Post
          Saying, "these ones" I just heard two people say it back to back. I can't figure out if is is a midwest thing or what.
          It's a midwest thing. I don't get it, either.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, it was: "You'ns"--a corruption of "you ones"

When I lived in the NE, it was: "Yous guys"--pronouced "yewz"

When I was in Texas, it was: "might could"--as in "I might could do that, if I had more time"--this one drove me absolutely nuts, since I was an English teacher facing this problem with students

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
            --Five-years-olds with pacifiers
            THIS!

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
            --Placing commas and periods outside of quotation marks where appropriate (ie, when they are not part of what is being quoted).
            Can you please explain this to my thesis advisor? Can't tell you how many periods and commas I just moved to inside the quotation marks when editing my current draft. It's so weird - definitely not what I was taught!

Originally posted by moonlight View Post
            Now that I live in a college town again (first time since I was a undergrad) I'm just shocked at how lazy undergrads act. I've never seen a group of such lazy, helpless, underachieving people in my whole life! What can we do about banishing them to Mars or some such place?
            Oh, the stories I could tell about lazy, uninspired college students. I think I will just stick with the stories about the hard working, inspiring ones. You could move them, but where would I work and utilize this degree that isn't quite conferred yet?
            Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Just for fun:

attempt to minimize the tattoo and piercing craze
              beauty pagents for kids under the age of 16 are forbidden
              no cuts for any publicly funded school team, even if this means varsity, Jv, freshman, and rec teams
              increasing the legal driving age to 18 with a mandatory "P" sign for the first year
              decreasing the legal drinking age to 18
              require kids to have longer lunches, more recesses, and gym classes
              kill high stakes testing
              require community service as a prerequisite to any college degree
              forbid shows like the Jersey shore, the Bachelor, and televised golf or poker
              provide National Science foundation funding to innovate calorie free baked goods
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
                provide National Science foundation funding to innovate calorie free baked goods
                Word

-smoking around children any time, any place. I hate it. Kill yourself? Fine. Poison your kid? Not so much!
                -teaching kids respect.
                -providing free haircuts and belts to all teenage boys. Hair in your eyes and pants below your butt is not a good look.
                Kris

Comment

Non-handicapped people parking in handicap spots.
                  Veronica
                  Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

--Placing commas and periods outside of quotation marks where appropriate (ie, when they are not part of what is being quoted).
                    This.
                    Sandy
                    Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by scarlett09 View Post
                      Can you please explain this to my thesis advisor? Can't tell you how many periods and commas I just moved to inside the quotation marks when editing my current draft. It's so weird - definitely not what I was taught
                      Actually, here in the US, most style guides DO specify putting periods and commas inside quote instead of outside. It's "traditional", but it's also stupid and illogical, and the brits' style guides specify the logical way (and the way I've always done it, because I'm logical, and a computer programmer, and adding things inside quotes is *bad* in code).
                      Last edited by poky; 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM.
                      Sandy
                      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                        Actually, here in the US, most style guides DO specify putting periods and commas inside quote instead of outside. It's "traditional", but it's also stupid and illogical, and the brits' style guides specify the logical way (and the way I've always done it, because I'm logical, and a computer programmer, and adding things inside quotes is *bad* in code).
                        Yeah, in my office style guide (which is followed religiously), this is definitely the correct method. Like Sandy, I just think it's stupid and illogical. (And sorry for digging up this thread almost a week later!)

Speaking of my office, a cause I could really get behind is the elimination of WordPerfect. Why in the world must we still use this program? Also LotusNotes. Hey office: 1995 called...
                        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Yeah, in my office style guide (which is followed religiously), this is definitely the correct method. Like Sandy, I just think it's stupid and illogical. (And sorry for digging up this thread almost a week later!)

Speaking of my office, a cause I could really get behind is the elimination of WordPerfect. Why in the world must we still use this program? Also LotusNotes. Hey office: 1995 called...
                          LN is awful. AWFUL!!
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

LotusNotes is the Devil. We keep trying to get rid of Lotus Notes based apps around here, but there are so many, that they gave up and they're continuing on indefinitely.

Random fact--one of the med spouses here had her wedding at the creator's of Word Perfect's mansion in Utah--they were family friends. Apparently it made them a lot of $$$$
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              LotusNotes is the Devil. We keep trying to get rid of Lotus Notes based apps around here, but there are so many, that they gave up and they're continuing on indefinitely.

Random fact--one of the med spouses here had her wedding at the creator's of Word Perfect's mansion in Utah--they were family friends. Apparently it made them a lot of $$$$
                              Our entire legislative information system is built on Lotus Notes. It would be unbelievably expensive to replace, and of course, we're the government, and we are broke. But I still hate it.
                              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I lurve Word Perfect. I've always hated that Word doesn't have
                                Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X