Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

out rotation housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out rotation housing

My hubby is looking for housing for out rotations since the hospitals he will be doing his audition rotations do not provide housing, I was wondering what your husbands did. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

My husband did all of his at military hospitals and he was able to stay at the Visiting Officer Quarters. I would look on Craigslist for short term rentals.

J.

Comment

We haven't had to deal with this yet, but you could ask someone at the program if they keep a list of available rentals (someone there doing an away the same month may be willing to sub-let or something, and I've heard some programs have lists they keep for visiting students).
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Jenn my husband even stayed in the barracks one time bc the military only funded him for 10 days of a 30 day rotation. The barracks were 8$ a day! It was a good experience for him lol.
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. We are just trying to find something safe and inexpensive, if that is possible.

Comment

Check with the hospital he's going to - sometimes other residents/med students will have rooms to rent out. My DH always stayed with friends.
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Mine contacted the school and was able to sublet an apartment from a student who was doing her rotation elsewhere.
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                We haven't had to deal with this yet, but you could ask someone at the program if they keep a list of available rentals (someone there doing an away the same month may be willing to sub-let or something, and I've heard some programs have lists they keep for visiting students).
                Yeah we tried this with DH's away rotation, the med school claims they keep a list but it was so outdated as to be completely useless. We went with craigslist and also contacted someone we knew at the med school he was visiting. She emailed the entire listserv and we found housing within an hour that was relatively cheap. Lean on iMSN members for advice too!! Where is his away rotation?
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

My DH did three away rotations in 2009 and he stayed in furnished sublets I found on Craigslist for each one. The places were really, really nice (and MUCH cheaper than some of those extended-stay hotels), but it definitely took me a lot of research to find them. Also, he was in large cities for each rotation, so I think that made finding sublets easier than if he'd been moving to a small town somewhere.

Comment

DH did all three of his away rotations where he had friends and family to stay with. But do not let that be the deciding factor in WHERE to do your away rotations. Although it was a nice excuse when asked at interviews why he did not rotate there - his excuse was that he rotated where he had free housing.
                    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

DH asked a friend who had grown up in the city for ideas, and her parents ended up volunteering to let him stay with them! So that was lucky.

I think if you can get in touch with a med student or resident like Tulips did and get them to email their lists, that will be the best bet.
                      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                      X