Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

mens suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total hijack but funny family story. My dad's cousin Kathy decided AT the family reunion to tell her husband that she wanted a divorce. OK. She took him to the airport and sent him back to Chicago. Meanwhile, in flies her boyfriend. So yes, she flew out the husband and flew in the boyfriend (I tell you, my family is more entertaining than anything on TV) and lo and behold his name is Hagger. Yes, indeed her boyfriend was the heir to the Haggar family. He made excellent guacamole as I recall.

J.

Comment

I agree that grey or navy are the way to go (my preference is charcoal) and $500 for two suits is not bad at all (although my suit priceometer is a bit off because I'm generally willing to spend a little extra for a suit I'll not hate wearing since I have to wear them so frequently)

I used to have to get everything I bought tailored pretty extensively when I rowed - lawyering has left my shape much more similar to the off-the-rack expectations.

Back then I "had a guy" I would take all my suits to, he was awesome and it is totally worth having a good relationship with a good tailor if you need frequent alterations - well-done alterations can make a $500 suit look like a $2,000 suit.
      - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

more precisely, if I had to buy just one suit, it would be a charcoal suit with a flat-front pant, two-button jacket with side vents and a narrow, notch lapel in a lightweight all-season wool

Comment

Jenn, I love your family!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Eric- what's your opinion on cuffs on pants. Yay or nay?

J.

Comment

I'm so glad you think so re: cuffs. I keep telling my beloved that at 5' 8" the last thing he needs is to look shorter.

My thing w/ pinstripes is that if they're pronounced, and on the wrong person- you can look like a "B" movie mafiosi. (or colored- the 80's did a number to men's suits that's taken a while to recover from, that's for sure.)

J.

Comment

We have someone on staff who always wears a black suit, and everyone calls him "the undertaker"!!!!!
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

DH owns one.black.suit. They same one he wore to prom homecoming with me in high school. It got him through med school interviews...but obviously it is time to trade up
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

One of my fabulous neighbors wears a variation on this: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_100127 every day. He also wears a straw bowler and rides his red bike w/ white fenders through the 'hood. He just turned 70. (and he's one of our local attorneys) If it's cold outside or drizzly he'll drive his 1960-something Cadillac convertible.

I love men's suits, too.

J.

Comment

I can't convince DH that pleat-front slacks aren't a good idea. He hates that I won't buy them, but apparently not enough to actually go out and buy his own damn slacks.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                        I can't convince DH that pleat-front slacks aren't a good idea. He hates that I won't buy them, but apparently not enough to actually go out and buy his own damn slacks.
                        It took a long time to get DH to step away from the pleats. Once he did, he didn't understand why he wore them for so long
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                          It took a long time to get DH to step away from the pleats. Once he did, he didn't understand why he wore them for so long
                          Same here. I am now involved in every fashion decision he makes (okay, I might still let him pick out his own casual shirts, but he would wear undergarments and socks with holes in them if I didn't exert some authority). As DCJenn said in another thread "control - it's the medical spouse way".

Jen - thanks for the tips! We do look in Kohl's and JCPenney's often for khakis. I will check out Haggar - last time DH had a pair of them it was before I was picking out his pants, and they had pleats ::shudder::
                          Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                            Eric- what's your opinion on cuffs on pants. Yay or nay?
                            I'm against them generally, but especially on flat-front pants

Comment

Ugh. DH is determined to go suit shopping today. Step away from the pleats, dude.

Comment

I would try to get the best quality at the cheaper price - shop sales at department stores and outlets. DH had a black suit and a dark green suit for residency, grey and navy for real jobs. I don't think a black suit or stripes automatically mean anything. There are many variations on both. As for style - stay away from pleats and cuffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X