Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Gift ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift ideas

So each year, the department, along with the PGY-2's, host a "women's dinner" for all spouses/SOs/lady residents. It is traditional for the intern class to be presented with a gift. Last year, we each got a coffee mug with our DH's picture and "I'll be home soon" caption. The couple years before, they got candy jars, once again with the DH picture. Female residents get something similar but without the pic. I, personally, am not a big fan of that type of crap I was more than happy to be past the days of drug company mugs, etc, and I think of this as much the same. Since my class is in charge of the planning, does anyone have any cute suggestions?

The only thing I could come up with was some type of collection of "how to survive residency/great things about our program/things to look forward to" advice from the other spouses along with some personal message from their DH (we have one single, female intern this year). Thoughts???
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

I actually would have liked Kris's book more than anything. If you have to do some kind of crap, I'd rather have a $5 gift card for coffee and target than another mug.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Not to offend anybody here, but as the SO of a new intern, I'm getting annoyed with unsolicited advice on how to cope/stories about how horrible it is, etc. Obviously, when log on to this site, I'm looking for that kind of info, but I really hate having co-workers, friends, friends of friends of friends of friends, etc. constantly giving advice/life experiences when I imention his career choice. Sometimes BTDT info comes off a bit condescending IMO.

BUT, if you keep it to institution-/program-specific advice, that would be a pretty nice little gift that i think the others would appreciate. Just keep away from horror stories.

Being in this situation, I can say that something like a guide to the city would be helpful. Not like a store-bought one that has all the obvious stuff in it, but one that has all the little things that you have to find a "new" when you move. Good dentists, grocery stores, salons, fun boutiques, best coffee, etc. I love getting that kind of advice!
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Originally posted by corn poffi View Post
        Not to offend anybody here, but as the SO of a new intern, I'm getting annoyed with unsolicited advice on how to cope/stories about how horrible it is, etc. Obviously, when log on to this site, I'm looking for that kind of info, but I really hate having co-workers, friends, friends of friends of friends of friends, etc. constantly giving advice/life experiences when I imention his career choice. Sometimes BTDT info comes off a bit condescending IMO.

BUT, if you keep it to institution-/program-specific advice, that would be a pretty nice little gift that i think the others would appreciate. Just keep away from horror stories.

Being in this situation, I can say that something like a guide to the city would be helpful. Not like a store-bought one that has all the obvious stuff in it, but one that has all the little things that you have to find a "new" when you move. Good dentists, grocery stores, salons, fun boutiques, best coffee, etc. I love getting that kind of advice!
        All new residents at the U get a welcome packet sent to them in April with all that good stuff

I don't think avoiding negatives would be an issue. On the whole, we have very little to complain about in comparison to other programs and departments. I think most of the "advice" would be things like "make sure to attend x event - it's a lot of fun" or "this is a great place to go during the winter with the kids". When someone complains about something in conversation, we usually try to come up with solutions rather than bitch about it (DH working long hours? So is mine - let's get dinner). Boy, I love my other SOs
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Then I think that's a great idea! That's the kind of stuff that is actually helpful and I think it would make the new SOs really feel welcome to the group.

I wish my BF's program would do something similar. But, from what I've heard, they don't care about unmarried couples, and don't do any activities that include the childless. (unsolicited advise, may not be accurate...haha)
          I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

I would give Kris' book, or at least if you give a wine glass and print out Kris' book from Amazon.com, and how to order it, roll it up with a ribbon like a diploma. This will be their guide to personally graduating from Residency!!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
              I would give Kris' book, or at least if you give a wine glass and print out Kris' book from Amazon.com, and how to order it, roll it up with a ribbon like a diploma. This will be their guide to personally graduating from Residency!!!
              I am having all the interns over on Wednesday night to my house, so I may talk to them about Kris' book then (and lend out my copy). I like how you think! There are some great local wineries in the area, so maybe a bottle of local wine for their gift???
              Jen

Comment

I'm assuming the budget is too low for champagne and Bon bins? I won't even go into orgasms
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Just curious, it seems weird to have the female residents join in a dinner that is mostly made up of spouses/SOs.
                  In terms of wine just make sure you know that everyone drinks alcohol. A little alcohol as gift story: my folks got some wine for a gift once and since they don't drink my mom offered it to one of the superintendants. What she didn't know was that he was a recovering alcoholic...he fell off the wagon after she gave him the bottle. Not her fault but she never passed alcohol along to anyone ever again.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                    Just curious, it seems weird to have the female residents join in a dinner that is mostly made up of spouses/SOs.
                    In terms of wine just make sure you know that everyone drinks alcohol. A little alcohol as gift story: my folks got some wine for a gift once and since they don't drink my mom offered it to one of the superintendants. What she didn't know was that he was a recovering alcoholic...he fell off the wagon after she gave him the bottle. Not her fault but she never passed alcohol along to anyone ever again.
                    The dinner is for women only - so the male spouses aren't invited. Being in a male-dominated field, I think that the female residents look forward to dressing up and not talking about "guy" stuff.

We have a lot of Mormons who come to the University for training - but none in this class. The only person who doesn't drink in the intern class is one wife who is due in Sept - so it's a "temporary" situation Thanks for reminding me to think about that!
                    Jen

Comment

We do "girls nights" with female spouses and female residents all the time. As a matter of fact, one of the faculty members has a yearly spa night for the ladies and it's all sorts of awesome. We have a blast.

Not that every place is like ours. In some programs it would be super awkward to mix the two, but not here. I truly adore most of the peeps in DH's program and hang with them whenever we have the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                      X