Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Winehouse dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winehouse dead

So, the news is reporting that Amy Winehouse, the amazing vocalist/songstress with a serious drug problem, was found dead today.

I was shocked. honestly, I thought she had already died. She was such a mess.

I know, it makes me sad. She really did have such a remarkable talent and the drugs just completely took hold of her. I hoped that since she was young she might be able to eventually get herself back together, but she must have been too far gone. Seems like a day of sad news... the Oslo tragedy, which is just unbelievable, Winehouse, the train crash in China. What a sad day.
    Attorney, wife to EM attending, mom to two girls (ages 5 and 2)

Comment

Reminds me of Janis Joplin. She was before my time, but close enough to remember.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

The people around her, her handlers, her managers, her family and friends failed her as much as she failed herself.
        That describes Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Famous abusers ALWAYS have a crew of enablers. Very sad

Comment

I just read a report that her family theorizes that she died from alcohol withdrawal, which is entirely plausible. We like to tell our detox clients that alcohol withdrawal is the only one that will kill you, the rest will just make you think you're dying. We medicate and monitor our alcohol detoxers every four hours or more for days until they start to stabilize.

Jenn

Comment

Good grief. She went cold turkey off the hooch? Was she under an MD's care?

Comment

She was and her doctor apparently told her in no uncertain terms to NOT quit cold-turkey because it would kill her but her father said that she decided to go "all or nothing" and well, we see how that ended.

Jenn

Comment

Yikes. You don't have to be an addiction counselor to know that a chronic alcoholic shouldn't cold turkey self-detox... I'm sorry to hear.

Comment

That is awful. I was surprised when DH told me that about alcohol detox.
                    Laurie
                    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Makes sense. Alcohol detox isn't something to do sans medical supervision.

Comment

Not to be an insensitive jerk, but I don't believe the alcohol detox story. I totally believe that alcohol detox can kill, but I don't think that's what happened. It's not a stop-drinking-and-don't-wake-up kinda thing. There's usually signs and symptoms of a problem for days... And I can't believe that a truly addicted person would be able to just quit and ride out the symptoms to death alone.

It's really sad. Additions suck. And it's tragic when they claim the life of someone with tremendous potential.
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                        X