Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How pathetic is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How pathetic is this?

My girlfriend of 4 years and I broke up last night. We made it through less than one week of medical school, and it was just orientation week! Classes hadn't even started yet! I am pretty depressed right now, but I guess that things are all for the better. I really loved her with all my heart, but it would seem that her love for me has "died on the vine" so to speak. So, I guess I wont be coming back here any more, unless something miraculous happens. Thanks for listening to me for the short time I was here, and I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on how to handle this.

Dennis

Dennis,

I am sorry to hear about this. I know that she is under a lot of stress right now...maybe this will sort itself out with time?

Best of luck,

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Man, Dennis, that sucks. I'm sorry about that. I'm sure nothing I say can really make it better but I remember one of the lessons I learned early on which helped me make it through break-ups was that I didn't want anyone that didn't want me back, as painful as it may be. Take care of yourself.

Comment

I'm so sorry. Maybe it is the stress of school starting and it will eventually be OK. Then again, I agree with Thu Vann. My thoughts are with you.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Thanks..

Thanks for the support. Personally, I am not quite sure what to do. Obviously, I start with moving on with my life. I am a bit scared though, that she will ask me sometime in the future to get back together (as others here have alluded to.) I still love her, but this really would change things. If we are to be together, I would have to move to the East Coast and leave everything I have ever known behind to be with her. I wouldn't have minded doing this before, but now I am not as sure. After all, how could I move across the country to be with someone who has told me that she isn't in love with me any more? In addition (and I mean no offense to anyone here) but I never really wanted to be married to a doctor. I have always felt that doctors by nature have to be somewhat emotionally and physically unavailable. I wanted to marry my ex-girlfriend Cindy, and she was going to become a doctor, so I was stuck. I loved her enough that I was willing to put up with the negatives associated with having a spouse who goes through medical school, residency, fellowship, etc. Right now, I am having a very hard time deciding if I would put myself through all the future heartache in order to be with someone who broke up with me at one point. Any advice or thoughts?

Anyway, I don't think I will have the opportunity to get back together with her anyway. She is only 22, and I think she needs to be free for a while. I don't want to be free, but I guess I don't really have any choice in the matter. Aside from a request for more feedback, I would like to give one last piece of advice. To all the people on the forum who read this, take the time tonight (or as soon as possible) to really appreciate the love that you have in the form of your spouse or significant other. You truly are lucky to have someone you love, and it is easy to take something like that for granted. Take a second to look in the eyes of your spouse, and really let them know how much you care about them. Do it for me. Thanks.

Dennis

Comment

Ouch. That really stinks, Dennis. I agree with the above posts.
            The start of medical school is really stressful (was for us)....but is just first in line of many medical school stresses. So, I'm sure that has something to do with it.
            On the other hand....I agree with ThuVan. And if you two do work things out, that is a big leap of faith to move across the country.....if that happens, I think you should feel really good about things before going.
            Bummer. Sorry to hear about this. Be good to yourself.
            ps - no offense taken re: not looking for a spouse who is a doctor.

Comment

Working...
            X