Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Becoming Involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming Involved?

Hi all,
    I'm reaching a milestone next week when I finish my MBA classes. I won't be looking for a new job just yet since Brian will be matching for residency in January and we don't plan to be in this area for longer than 7ish months. With that said, what do I do with my time? I've spent the last two years studying every night after work. I thought about finding an organization, like Junior League, to join but with a possible move coming I don't want to make a commitment I can't keep. I of course have things to do around the house like picture albums that have been ignored and other organizing but I'm looking for outside the house type things.

Does anyone have idea of how I find volunteer opportunities on my own without belonging to a club, or ways to meet new people? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

How about volunteering at the hospital? Our hospital couldn't function witout volunteers. Or Meals on Wheels for shut-ins.
    Congratulations on finishing school!!!!!!
    Luanne
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I don't know what your interest level is- but we in the developmental disabilities field are always looking for relief staff in the group homes. We don't normally take volunteers- (most agencies like to train their staff which includes CPR and First Aid plus agency specific training) but once you're trained, you can pretty much pick your hours. The bigger the agency, the more likely you'll have people calling in, quitting, needing time off for sick kids, etc. So- if you are interested in making a difference in the life with someone with a disability AND getting paid (nominally) think about that. Besides, once you've worked in the field, you'll have an automatic 'in' wherever you move which may help while you're looking for a job in your new community. Unfortunately there are always people with disabilities and there are always jobs available working with them!

Jenn

Comment

There probably is a association for non profit organizations in your area that would have listings of volunteer needs in your community. You might even find something that (sort of) fits with your MBA training.
        I do the monthly financial statements for organization in my area. I used to do outdoors volunteer work for them but wasn't physically able to when I was pregnant. So, I started working in their office instead and have continued for the last three years. It's been a great experience!
        If you are feeling up to a challenge, some organizations are looking for interim directors or CFO types -- perfect for a shorter time commitment.

Comment

What about some sort of internship or continuing ed that will make your resume stronger?

There have been some classes I want to take someday- master gardener, oil painting, improve my spanish, improve my sewing, etc. Maybe there is something like that that you would want to do.
          Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Thank you for the ideas so far, I guess I should clarify I have an 8-5 job which is actually below my skill set that I took in order to guarantee I'd have enough time to finish my school work. I'm going to stay in that job until March or April when we start thinking about moving, so I'm just looking for something to do in the evenings or on the weekends that will get me out of the house and possibly meet some new people.

Thanks!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
            X