Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Online file backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online file backup

Anybody use one?

I have a Mac with Time Machine backing it up to a removable hard drive. But my computer's hard drive is basically full, and I'm thinking the best solution is to move a bunch of my pictures to the removable drive permanently. So now I want a backup for the backup.

Feel free to also tell me I am being overly paranoid. There is nothing on my computer that is THAT important.
    Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

You're not being paranoid. But I have no advice about online backup
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DropBox and SugarSync. Awesome.
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

The only thing I'd caution you about is make sure you really really love the service. It sucks to move everything from one place to another when it is online. I'm working through that with pictures right now
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
          DropBox and SugarSync. Awesome.
          I looked at SugarSync. It looks like it won't automatically back up stuff that's only on an external hard drive. Instead I'd have to put those files in a web archive or something. Which is probably fine. Does that sound like I'm reading things right, though?
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

You could try Mozy. I only use the tiny free version, so I can't speak from experience on how the external hard drive backup works, but they claim that they do it. I should stop being so cheap because my entire photo library is sitting on an external drive. If that fails...
            Cristina
            IM PGY-2

Comment

I had my favorite pictures on a flash drive in a makeup bag that I carried everywhere, filled with little emergency things like tampon, chapstick etc. I threw it in a tote bag one day instead of my purse. I was later involved in an accident and car fire... I grabbed my purse and forgot about my tote (also had boxes of stuff from my old room at my parents with me because we were about to leave TX)... it all burned It was dumb of me to carry it with me I guess, but I always feared losing it and figured this way I always knew where it was.

Comment

I am using Carbonite and have been super happy with it. So glad my friends encouraged me to get it b/c my laptop died and all my work information and kiddos baby pics were on it. After having the laptop wiped clean, I freaked out a little but thankfully after about 10 days of reloading, Carbonite put everything back!!

Comment

I just signed up for SugarCync, as per recommendation above. It was super easy and everything was backed up in minutes.

Comment

Has anyone done a recovery from any of these services? I've considered Mozy but haven't looked at SugarCync. Right now, I just do the multiple external hard drives back ups -- totally paranoid and ridiculous but I've lost lots of data before. It sucks. I try to keep all my photos on Photobucket and Flickr - but the video, music and actual work is not in an online home. I've only used Dropbox for group projects; hadn't thought of it as a total backup system. Is there a space limit?
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I've been reading a lot of reviews, and one of the key differences between services is that some will send you DVDs to recover your data (for an extra fee). They all will let you download your data again, but if it's a full system restore, that can take a really long time.

Space limits vary by service. Backblaze has unlimited storage for a price comparable to more limited options. I haven't signed up for anything yet, but at the moment I'm leaning toward Backblaze.

Comment

Bump - I really really really don't want to lose my pictures of DD...and there are a lot of them

I will probably want at least 1TB of storage, if not more.
                        Jen
                        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Ugh, I still haven't done it.

I like Farhad Manjoo at Slate, and he recently recommended CrashPlan: http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...g_hacked_.html

Comment

I think online storage is great, but do you have them on an external drive to? Just for ease of access...it would be a big PITA to try and use Lightroom and I imagine aperture with an online file service

Comment

The current plan is three places for "working" pictures, two for ones we just want to keep. I am currently backing up to an external HD. Only pictures that are more than 6 months old are getting removed from the HD. Archived pictures will be kept on the external and cloud (not necessarily iCloud, but a cloud).
                              Jen
                              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Working...
                              X