Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Weekend plans-- anyone, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend plans-- anyone, anyone?

What is everyone planning for one of the last summer weekends?

Up here in the Great North, we are going to take advantage of the nice weather since it may start snowing in a few short weeks. We are going to go swimming at the lake and try out the State Fair. I ***may*** try to run an early Saturday morning 5 K race this weekend. A feat which is sure to kill me since I haven't run in 9 weeks. Whose tag line says, "That which doesn't kill you just hurts really bad?" I hear ya!

Anyway, what is going on in your neck of the woods? Anyone, anyone?

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

My husband and I are just enjoying each other's company. I finished my MBA with my last final on Wednesday and he has finished his residency application so we are going to enjoy a day of shopping and hanging out at this new center that has opened near us.

We're taking next weekend to have a 3-day away weekend in Carmel and Monterey, CA.

Everyone enjoy your weekends!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think we're going to get in at least one more visit to the pool, celebrate hubby's b-day, and catch up on things around the house so we can go out of town next weekend. We're going to Aspen for Labor Day weekend -- hopefully a relaxing weekend with lots of time outside.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Comment

We do not have any extravagant weekend plans but we are beginning a much-needed week's vacation. We are going to the beach on the west side of the state (Saugatuck, for those of you who are familiar with the area) and staying in a cute B&B for a couple of days. It will be nice to get away...

Cheri, I am jealous of you that you are going to Carmel/Monterey! We spent part of our honeymoon there and LOVED it, DH still talks about wanting to go back and visit.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and a great week!!
        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Tomorrow my parent's, another couple and Rick and I are hosting a "Send-off" party for my friend and her fiance who are getting married in Italy. We've gone completely overboard, too. I have to get up and go to the Farmer's Market and pick up 25 pots of Italian Herbs, then go to the beer/wine store and pick up 3 cases of Peroni (Italian beer) and two cases of Pinot Grigio. My SIL is in charge of picking up a case of red and three cases of bottled water. We have rental tables and chairs coming tonight along with the linens. My mom bought grape vine and fake grapes that she's wrapped with little white lights to string along their fence tomorrow. I bought red, white and green votive candle holders at the Crate and Barrel outlet in Alexandria, VA a few weeks ago, so the centerpieces will be the votives along with the herbs which by that time will have been wrapped in burlap and tied with raffia. My dad has once again outdone himself in the music department- he bought the coolest cd's-arias, and accordians and you name it- he's got it. The caterer comes tomorrow evening, and we have several pastas, hot and cold. We're doing antipasti trays and both bread and bread sticks along with jars of olive tapenade for each table. PLUS we got a wedding cake that's amaretto and almond filling plus three kinds of Italian cookies, coffee and espresso. In addition, I hired a limo to pick them up and then take all of us back to the city tomorrow night.

Whew. I'm actually working right now though- I had to finish my report and next week I have a rather lengthy and uncomfortably complicated plane trip- so- tomorrow's the big PARTY day.

Jenn

Comment

First of all, congrats Cheri!
            And good luck Kelly if you decide to run the race!

This weekend my husband is on call, so he will be sparse. On Sat., I'm volunteering at the church for a little while (childcare provided so a nice little break for me!), then later my parents are coming to help me pack up the girls. On Monday, my parents are driving the girls and I to Colorado Springs where my sister will be getting married on Friday. We get to spend the week at a dude ranch so I'm kind of psyched about that. My husband will be joining us on Wednesday night--just in time for Syd's 2nd birthday on Thursday!
            I guess my plans spilled over into the next week!
            Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Sue,
              That sounds like fun! We should have nice, cooler weather next week. Where is the dude ranch?
              BRING BUG SPRAY!!! Colorado is having a pretty serious outbreak of West Nile Virus. The severity depends on what part of the state you are in. Nothing a little bit of mosquito repellant won't prevent.
              Have a great time!
              Nellie

Comment

We are racing against the clock on house painting....yes, I know, it should be finished by now....but when one thing breaks, three others would follow suit! The "clock" is actually DW time before she is back into inpatient duties gone until our baby is crawling, has teeth, and learning how to manipulate his father.....

Comment

Jane, yep - that is one nice thing about living in California, we are within driving distance of Monterey/Carmel and Napa/Sonoma.

Sue - thanks, it was a lot of work and I'm glad it's done. I look forward to being able to catch up on projects around home and I feel like I'll be more prepared to find a job when we move for residency next year!

Everyone have a great weekend!
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

No real plans this weekend - dh is at a free clinic for the morning, then to a boy scout camp to help with merit badges, then to study the rest of the day. If I'm lucky, I may see him just before I collaps into bed tonight. (At least the kids got up early, so he actually got to see them with their eyes open for a change ). (Do I sound like the bitter wife that I am feeling like right about now??)

I have a ton to do, so hopefully I will be able to keep myself busy and not get too bitter.

Next weekend, we get to go out west (wahoo!!) to see dh mom's wedding. I am so excited for a little break, I can hardly stand it! It's going to be quite a whirlwind trip, leaving on Thursday, and back on Sunday. But it will be worth it to get to see some family after so long of not seeing anyone (both of our families are out west). My family is getting together for a BBQ on Thursday night, and my parents are driving over three hours that night just to be with us for the BBQ, then back after for my dad to be back in the office on Friday... talk about feeling loved !

After that, it's back here for the long haul of applications and interviews... fun times in store! Those of you who are doing fun stuff, have extra fun for us!

Jen B.

Comment

Nellie,
                      I don't know the name of the dude ranch. Thanks for the advice about the bug spray--I hadn't even thought about that!
                      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

DH is on call this weekend and so far has delivered three babies, so not many plans here.

I am labeling all of the boys' school supplies ---- so far I have labeled 48 individual crayons, 36 individual markers, 15 gluesticks, and numerous other items. And no, I am not obsessive-compulsive (today, anyway! ) the school actually requests that we label the crayons and markers individually. What a pain.

We are getting ready to go to The Olive Garden courtesy of a gift card from one of DH's patients. We will have to drive two cars, but a meal that I don't have to make or clean up will be worth the hassle. There was a big bike race here today, called the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred, so we are eating early to avoid the crowds from that event.

Livin' large in Wichita Falls, that's us.

Sally
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sally,

I hear your pain about the labeling...Our school district requires the same and I have to say that I...just don't do it I know that makes me a rebel, but I just refuse. In the last two years, I've had no problems with them really losing markers, and if they were to do so...I'd rather buy them some new crayons then sit there and label them all...I know...I'm bad!

Matt....I hope the housepainting is going OK? What a major pain!!!!

We had some great vacation plans for this weekend...we were going camping up in Bemidji and were really excited...we were renting a cabin, etc, etc....To make a long story short, before the big haul out there (about 5 hours) we had the van looked at...and were shocked to be hit with a $1000 bill 8O 8O (HOLY COW!). Apparently we are leaking stearing fluid and there is a Rack and Pinion? issue...along with brake isseus, etc...The mechanic advised us that we should not be traveling any long distances.....I guess it's a good thing our Minneapolis get-together fell through last week too.....

In any case, we couldn't pay to have it fixed....we spent our tax refund on the sofas so we are taking the van in and having 1/2 done this week and 1/2 done next month 8O .

Since we were all packed and as a consolation to the kids, I guess, Thomas booked one night at a local hotel with a pool for $50 (free continental breakfast and kids eat free). We went and stayed last night, but Thomas and I were so...grouchy about the van costs that we just couldn't relax. The kids swam for about 7 hours and fell into bed exhausted....and then at midnight, the air conditioning went out in the room and we had to call down to the front desk because it got really hot and started to smell like chlorine (we were close to the pool). They sent someone up to fix it and he managed this by turning it off and on a few times...then the blasted thing stopped working about every hour, at which Thomas woke me up to fix it (he didn't want to look for his glasses ). If he didn't wake me up, I woke up on my own from the sheer mugginess of it all. By 4am, I was up and couldn't fall back asleep....I laid awake trying to decide if I should just go and walk around the pool area for some exercise for a half an hour...and about 5.30 when I decided that I was definately getting up, I fell back asleep.

We got up at 8 and instead of going swimming again, etc, we just had brunch and came home....aaaaahhhh...home sweet home....I must be getting OLD. There was a time when a weekend at a hotel like like this would have been really awesome to me....

Anyway....sorry for the rant...

kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona

I hear your pain about the labeling...Our school district requires the same and I have to say that I...just don't do it I know that makes me a rebel, but I just refuse. In the last two years, I've had no problems with them really losing markers, and if they were to do so...I'd rather buy them some new crayons then sit there and label them all...I know...I'm bad!
                            8O I can't imagine labeling three kids worth of school supplies. I think I would rebel too.

Sorry to hear about your car, Kris. I'm glad you got it checked out before going very far. Car repairs are such a bummer.

Comment

I'm sorry about the car, I have grown to HATE cars. Today Caroline & I went to staples to buy notebooks,index cards etc. She starts at the Community College next week (and I don't have to label a thing!!!!).

Amy also starts next week and we will go shopping sometime this week. They can't seem to work their sdchedules out so that we can make just one trip. Actually I don't mind, it is nice to have time with each of the girls alone. Funny, at 18 & 19 it is still special to have alone time with them. Last night Amy & I went out for Thai food, and today Caroline & I had Italian food!!!!
                              Luanne
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X