Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What City Information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our #1 criteria is distance from family. As in, preferably not close.

Comment

Lol diggity.
      Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

100% serious. We're looking at locations in WA that would take our family longer to drive to than it currently takes us to fly from Chicago to PDX. We couldn't get any further away from our respective families without becoming Canadians.

Comment

Sorry, DD, I giggled! I hope they stay far, far away from you!
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Well we won't get any choice for a looooong time but here is my list:

1. I'd take anything international over anything US. Preferably working on missions in Africa but this is a pipe dream.
            2. We're not city people. We're small suburban/rural people with city access. Think suburbs of Raleigh, Charleston, etc.
            3. The southeast. I hate cold weather but don't like the SW all that much
            4. Proximity to strong church communities
            5. Proximity to friends
            6. TRADER JOES.
            7. Ability to bike/walk to lots of places

So, except for Trader Joes and sort of #7, Cleveland sucks. Hoping to make 2/3/4 happen for residency.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
              Well we won't get any choice for a looooong time but here is my list:

1. I'd take anything international over anything US. Preferably working on missions in Africa but this is a pipe dream.
              2. We're not city people. We're small suburban/rural people with city access. Think suburbs of Raleigh, Charleston, etc.
              3. The southeast. I hate cold weather but don't like the SW all that much
              4. Proximity to strong church communities
              5. Proximity to friends
              6. TRADER JOES.
              7. Ability to bike/walk to lots of places

So, except for Trader Joes and sort of #7, Cleveland sucks. Hoping to make 2/3/4 happen for residency.
              More NC members are always welcomed!
              Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
              "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Yes come to NC.... Durham is 15 minutes from Raleigh and ranked very high on places to live, yet still suburban feeling and tons of jobs. I live smack between duke and unc hospitals.

Comment

Not gonna lie, I'd ditch Texas in a second for NC if our family wasn't here
                  Last edited by SoonerTexan; 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM. Reason: pregnancy brain
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DH still jokes about being in close proximity to Bloomingdale's as one of my top requirements when we were looking 4 years ago.

This list should be about what's important to you. For us it was proximity to a large metro area, international airport and equa-distant from both families. We love our area because it's a mix of rural and suburban but we're only an hour away from a large city with museums/theaters/aquarium/zoo/etc. Since we were coming from NYC, COL wasn't an issue as any place would be lower than what we're used to. My main complaint is that there aren't as many good places to eat out and decent ethnic food is virtually non-existent.

As great as Jenn's neighborhood is, after visiting TX for only a week we realized that we're not ready to leave NE climate just yet.

Comment

That is true- 9 months of summer can get really old.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
                        DH still jokes about being in close proximity to Bloomingdale's as one of my top requirements when we were looking 4 years ago.
                        Not gonna lie, that was on my list for residency. I would have even settled for Nordstrom.

My requirements were:
                        Somewhere I could find a job
                        "Metro" area...didn't have to be huge, but no small towns..I want something with its own personality
                        Diversity/Good ethnic food
                        Good shopping
                        Not in the the Southwest, South, or LA
                        Proximity to friends/family
                        Average salary for the area vs. cost of living
                        Proximity to international airport
                        Walkability

His requirements were (yes, he only had 4 when it came to non-hospital related criteria):
                        Proximity to favorite sports teams
                        Weather
                        Proximity to friends/family
                        Location in the Midwest, Northwest, or Colorado/Utah (...which makes no sense with his weather requirement)
                        Last edited by corn poffi; 10-10-2011, 05:57 AM. Reason: I can't count.
                        I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

Actually, CO has one of the highest ratios of sunshine during the year. Even in winter, it'll snow and the sun will come out!
                          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Haha so true, I love Colorado (and Utah) in the winter! He HATES snow though...he thinks scraping ice off your windshield is the lowest part in a person's life. Nope, he's not overdramatic at all.

Comment

You know, that's what garages were intended for. The only time I had to scrape my car last winter was in a hotel parking lot in South Dakota while on the interview trail. Now THAT's a fabulous location.

I'm with diggitydot on distance from family. I'm an only child, so they call constantly and would probably drop in all the time if they lived closer. I can realistically make do in any climate, but my temperature comfort zone is about 10 degrees wide: not too hot, not too cold. I'm convinced there is no such place on Earth that is also near a major medical center, a true international airport, cheap housing, lots of museums, restaurants, etc.
                              Cristina
                              IM PGY-2

Comment

Haha he's also too cheap to pay $120 a month for underground parking.

Comment

Working...
                                X