Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

another apps question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another apps question

I finally have joined the craze and now own an iphone.

What apps should I get? The 11 y.o. set up my phone and downloaded a few like Minecraft. How the heck do these kids know how to use these things this well? Is there a chip in their head? When I told him I didn't want too much extraneous stuff on there, he sighed and said that an iphone was wasted on me. <sigh> Yup, I feel old.

My goal this week is to get my banking on my phone and maybe iMSN by next week. Cheri got me thinking about stuff to track my running miles. What else do you love?
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Words With Friends
    Mint.com
    Tapatalk
    Facebook
    Banking/cc apps
    Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

The Weather Channel
      facebook
      Netflix
      SparkPeople
      Yelp
      Zillow
      Pinterest
      P Tracker (TMI?)
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

Mint.com--make sure you set up the passcode the app offers
        Tapatalk--IMSN
        Facebook
        Banking/cc apps
        Ditto

I like Pinterest as well, but only if you like their normal website
        Get a free flashlight app-surprisingly useful
        MyNetDiary is a neat food tracker
        Groupon, LivingSocial, etc.
        Find iPhone app--worth it and the service is now free
        Yelp
        Pandora
        TripAdvisor
        Shazam

Oh...and you might think about enabling the passcode on the phone in general. A bit of a hassle, but invaluable at deterring umm...unwanted? little users. Or big users.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think the Find my iPhone app is now part of iOS 5... at least it asked me about activating it when I upgraded this weekend.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Amazon
            Angry Birds
            iPeriod (very helpful)
            Pandora
            TV Listings
            LivingSocial
            Google+
            Cozi
            Veronica
            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I just got an iPhone this weekend too. I am officially an Android traitor. Here are the apps I've added so far (all free, mostly based on what I had on Android):

Facebook
              NPR News and Music
              Groupon and LivingSocial
              Mint.com
              an ATM Locator for our credit union co-op ATMs
              Pandora (internet radio)
              SoundHound (song identifier - I don't use it much, so the free version suits me fine)
              Sportacular (sports scores and alerts)
              tkts (imagining myself going to Broadway)
              TripIt (travel manager)
              Yelp (restaurant and other services reviews)
              Zillow (ogling houses as I drive by them)

ETA: I am planning to pay for Scrabble and a better calendar app.
              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I use cozi too-- lifesaver. Look into it Kelly. It's an online calendar that dh refers to every day to know where we are. And it sends dd text reminders (if I set it up to do so) for things she needs to do. I literally use it every day at least 5 times. And it has to do lists and grocery lists etc right there too- they work off line so that's nice.

What is the app that lets you listen to the radio thru your phone? You look up the station-- ??? I read about it somewhere.
                Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I also like flixter app, which finds the closest movies to you, etc

I like tripit for travel... Super easy.

I used the checkbook app but they didn't update it to ios5 yet and I'm stressing bc that's my only check register. The developer says the update is on the way...

If you do angry birds I prefer the seasons version. It's fun.

I like the kayak app.

Hmmmm... Plants vs zombies is still super fun. I beat the game quickly but it was really fun.
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I just downloaded a cool camera app - camera+. It's got stabilization and a timer as well as a zoom feature. Nice if you use your iPhone as your primary family camera. Also has built in editing and special effects, borders, etc. Could become a bit of a time suck....

You can add iMSN just by going to the site via Safari and then Adding to the Home Screen. Not as many features as Tapatalk but free and still easy to use.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Overdrive for getting ebooks from my local library.

Tapatalk, Facebook, words with friends, hanging with friends, scrabble, solfree, word warp, angry birds, cut the rope, pandora, fruit ninja

Pinterest, google+, lose it, iTV, various cooking apps, cnet, red laser (barcode scanner), various ereaders, fertility friend, koi pond, monkey preschool lunchbox, preschool adventure
                      Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

What is the app that lets you listen to the radio thru your phone? You look up the station-- ??? I read about it somewhere.
                        There are several, but I prefer Pandora because I can search by artist or genre.

My faves:
                        -BBCAmerica
                        -Al-Jazeera
                        -NPR
                        -Facebook
                        -Google+
                        -Words With Friends
                        -GasBuddy
                        -Mapquest (has voice directions)
                        -Zillow
                        -Trulia
                        -Urbanspoon
                        -OpenTable
                        -Foursquare
                        -Gowalla
                        -Key Ring

Comment

This may not interest you, but we are big This American Life fans. We paid a few dollars for the app and listen to episodes on every car trip. You get all the episodes from the late 90s on.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'll second Open Table and NPR. Also Pandora. All these get regular use. As a baseball junkie, the MLB app is totally worth the insane price of $15. I've bought it two years running and use it for all the radio games, keeping up with scores etc. Most of the sports competitions have good apps -- most are also free. Only baseball costs big bucks!
                            Angie
                            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                              I Heart Radio, I believe. Not that I have the app. Or an iPhone.

My Android neglected to tell me all weekend that I had 3 FB friend requests and 20 FB notifications.
                              Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                              X