Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ebooks from library for kindle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebooks from library for kindle?

Michele mentioned using an app on the iPhone for Ebooks from the library. How about getting ebook rentals from the library for your kindle? Has anyone had luck with this?

Any pointers??
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Our library does it for Nook or Kindle, but their selection is pretty limited right now.

Comment

I just saw that our library finally can do it for kindle. However, it is through overdrive and have also downloaded their app for my phone and done it that way.
      Kris

Comment

Our library just started that but like checking out a real book you have to wait until you can check it out on a Kindle.
        PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Yup. I have a few books on hold that I am waiting for to get on my kindle and then I found one that was already available. It was pretty easy, i checked it out through my amazon account on my computer and then pulled it up on my HP touch pad that has a Kindle app. It is a pretty limited selection at this point, but I am able to find some interesting books and the selection keeps expanding each time I go back and look.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I have done this with my Nook - but I have to wait a long time before a book becomes available. I think it is great though that libraries are starting to do this!
            High school sweetheart and wife to an MS4 cutie, and mom to pretty baby J, silly Siamese kitty, crazy Weim, and funny ferret.

Comment

So do you access the books through your local library? I've looked it up online thru the amazon links-- our local library is being remodeled. It's about a 20 min drive to the next one. Mostly I'm lazy to take the kids to an actual library--- and I never get to look for books for myself... Online access to a database would be nice.
              Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

I can download through our local library, but the selection is super-lame. I have better luck with Google's free books.

Comment

Go to your library's website, and there will be a link for the eBook section. I think lots of libraries go through Overdrive for this. Sadly there are usually long waiting lists if a book is even remotely popular. My main reason for getting a Nook instead of a Kindle was that at the time only the Nook could get library books. I have yet to get an eBook through my library.

I'm still a huge Project Gutenberg fan.
                  Cristina
                  IM PGY-2

Comment

Our library has a rockin' online selection of ebooks and audiobooks considering the size of the organization.
                    Kris

Comment

I rarely ever actually go browse at the library anymore. I do all my "shopping" online. There are actually two different sections of my library's online. One is the print books. I tend to look online searching through amazon for books and then going over to the library website to see if they have it. I then reserve it for a library I want to pick it up at. When it becomes available they email me and I just run by the library, run in, pick it up, check it out and go. When I say I use amazon, what I do is look up a book I like, then under the book information, amazon will rec other books you might like. I then click on those and read the summaries until I find a book or few that I want to check out.

For the audio and Kindle books I go over to the downloadable digital website for the library. I do basically the same exact thing, except you never have to go pick the book up, because when it becomes available, it notifies you, you go online and then download it to where ever/ what ever you want to.

When I take the kids I nanny for to the actual library, I don't get to go look for books for myself, but being able to just run by the holds shelf and pick up my books makes it very easy.
                      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Chicago has a great selection of ebooks...too bad my library expired last month (and I can't renew)

Comment

Thanks for the overdrive app idea to whomever posted it. I am now 165 out 1f 165 on the waiting list for The Help.
                          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                          X