Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done!

As some of you may remember....in the Spring, we got a letter from the city we live in stating that we were in "code violation=paint house". We were given a deadline to paint our house or face some type of court action. Well, the work as been completed (nearly, except for accent-shutters & front door). I actually finished the work on Aug 27 mid morning and got the spend the rest of the day with DW before she was back in PICU and on call Thursday the 28th! The entire summer was mostly a blur, lots of house working and not much time with DW on her maternity leave and easy month of August. But our house looks 200% better! Now for some landscaping....
    Luanne- thank you for the offer to use your pressure washer, thank goodness it is over now!
    Sally, and all others- thanks for all the tips on prep and painting the exterior of a house, I appreciated them all!
    I actually rolled the house and could have done it in about a day and a half but had to take breaks from the heat. It was over 100 degrees for about 7 days in a row, one of those days I got heat exhaustion. It was 103 and I got the chills, dizzy and started to space out, also felt like I would be sick. Needless to say, DW was not happy about it and made me drink lots of fluids and stay in the house after that!

But anyway, the house is within the city codes now! We went to RainForest Cafe for a celebration, it was $.99 night for kids meals! We got dessert, the chocolate volcano, there was enough for about 7 people and it was extra rich. About made me sick to eat it, but I did anyway!

house

YEAH MATT!!!!!!!! I'm so glad that you got this done and it is no longer hanging over your shoulders!!!!!! It sounds like you really worked hard (and in the hot sun )...I'm glad that you didn't have a heat stroke or something!!!

You'll have to post a before/after pic for us to oooh and aaah over

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Congratulations!!!!! Please post pictures, I'd love to see your house.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

way to go! I hope you didn't get stung in the process - I'd be afraid of reaching into corners near my roof - there's lots of flying stinging nasties that have made their happy homes there.
        Congratulations!
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

Matt,

Congratulations...now do you take bids for work? We could use a painter here.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Yeah, Matt!
            Congratulations on finishing that project! That sounds like a lot of work. Especially in that heat -- whew.
            Yeah!

Comment

That's great, Matt! I bet you have an incredible sense of pride when looking at your house now - I'm sure it was no small feat. Glad it worked out for you with the zoning too. Congrats on a job fantastically done.

Comment

Congratulations on your accomplishment and hard work paying off! Now you can tell the city to kiss your butt and enjoy the fruits of your labor in the process!

jennifer
                Needs

Comment

Congratulations, I'll bet you're SOOOO relieved to have that project behind you!
                  ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                  -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Congrats Matt!
                    Now you get to kick your feet up and watch the soaps all day! (Just kidding of course--I remember the days with a baby in the house!)
                    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Good for you, Matt! I actually thought of you out there painting in the heat and hoped you were being careful. I am so glad you got it all done.
                      We need to do parts of ours sometime in the next two years, although it is mostly brick. I guarantee we won't be doing it in the summer!

Sally
                      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks for the compliments and "atta-boys"!

It does make me feel good to know that I did it and it turned out good. I was pretty worried about it. I can't figure out how to get a picture in my post, I will keep trying....

As for contract work, Kelly, you couldn't afford me!! Just kidding....a little.

I think over all, we saved about $1500 from the lowest estimate we got. That helps make it look even better...of course my hours put in if figured at a comparable wage would have probably doubled that amount, hopefully we will see more benefits from the sale of the house in the next 14 months. Guess we will have to wait and see on that one!

Comment

Working...
                        X