Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Haircut Help (bokelly??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haircut Help (bokelly??)

I got my hair cut last weekend using a Groupon. I've had great experiences in the past using Groupons, but I probably should have gone with my gut and left after seeing this place. It's in South Dallas (pretty much the ghetto), but in a trendy, upscale arts district, so I thought I would be okay as I just wanted a trim. The open bottles of liquor all over the place should have clued me in. I mistook it for a tattoo parlor at first.

At any rate, I asked the girl to "trim my split ends, but keep the length, and clean up my layers." Thanks to pregnancy, I had long, thick hair down to my chest with long, very uniform layers. I really liked it, but it just needed to be trimmed up a bit. I thought I had made myself clear, but I guess not.

She turned me away from the mirror and by the time I saw 3 inch strands of hair falling down, it was too late. Now the longest part of my hair is 2 inches shorter than it was, and it is only a very small portion. The rest is a good 3-5 inches shorter and cut in these crazy, uneven layers. It looked decent after she styled it, but now I cannot do ANYTHING with it. Should have known as she started randomly cutting strands AFTER she styled it. Ugh. Nothing lays nicely and it is so thin everywhere. Huge bummer as I know my hair is going to start falling out like crazy after the baby is born. It just always looks so stringy and messy no matter what I do. I've had too-short haircuts before, but never one that was just this BAD.

Plus, it's immediately a grease fest no matter what now. The did some deep conditioning treatment as part of the Groupon--maybe that was it? But seriously, an hour after styling my hair it looks like a 13 year old boy's face. I never had this problem before.

So...my question(s):

Is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I just live with it? I feel so uncomfortable and bloated right now and my hair was the only thing that was working. I know I look better with longer hair, but it is already too messed up to put in a proper ponytail (going to suck during labor), so maybe I should just go short?

Anybody got any tips for dealing with the greasefest??
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

That sucks. Big time.

My friend who owns The Kid Salon has fixed my bad haircuts for me (multiple times). It's not far from your work.
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Definitely send a complaint to Groupon - they'll probably give you a refund. And I would also go to a different stylist. My mom is a barber, and I've seen her work miracles with bad haircuts (or on kids who chopped on each others' hair).
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Ditto ^^^.

You can get it fixed, and you should get a refund. How frustrating.
        Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Go to a good stylist and get it fixed. You need to feel good about your self and your hair when you are postpartum!!!
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

No advice, but sorry to hear about it! Also, eagerly awaiting advice on the grease fest since that is my hair everyday of life...

Comment

Ugh. I posted a review on yelp (similar to what I wrote above, but nicer and acknowledging the place just really wasn't my vibe) at 1am last night and at 8:45 this morning I got a call from the stylist. I didn't really talk to her because she noticed I sounded groggy and just said she had sent me a text. (Don't judge--we are sleeping in as much as possible while we can!!!) I read the text--it didn't mention the review, but said sorry for the inconvenience and offered another time for me to come in today or tomorrow. Now I feel bad and a little hunted down! Jeez! I guess it is good she cares about her business, though. I just responded, "That's okay. I appreciate the offer." Now she responded again saying I could have someone else there cut it. I don't want to go back there at all!!

At any rate, you're all right, it is worth attempting to fix it. I'm going to make an appointment with the lady I used to see over by my parents. It's a drive, but we'll be over there next week for the holidays anyway. Hopefully she will have a slot.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I would be skeeved out to be hunted down and PISSED that they called at 1am. Seriously, WTF?! Completely unprofessional.

Comment

Ugh, I hate that she called you! I guess it's good that she cares about her business, and if it were my business and I found out a customer was unhappy with it, I'd probably offer to fix it as soon as possible, too. Still, I don't blame you for not wanting to go back.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Oh no, I posted the review at 1am and she called at 8:45 am...I didn't even know Yelp posted reviews that quickly! I'll probably just take down the review or something. I don't know.

Comment

Oh, hah! Reading fail on my part.

Comment

Sorry so late. Traveling right now. I would say at least go and see what the can do to fix it. But it can sometimes mean cutting out the layer aka shorter do. If u do not want that at all then I would maybe just stick it out and get cute headbands. As far as a too much product. A dry shampoo can help more than liquid shampoo. U can spray it in when it looks a bit oily. It drys it up without drying out the ends. Sorry so late been with husband family. Ugh
                        Brandi
                        Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I had a similar thing happen to me right after I had A. I went to a really crappy hair place and told them that I just wanted a trim. The girl cut off at LEAST 8 inches. My hair was so long and wonderful, and when I left it was above my shoulders. Well...above my shoulder on one side, and on my shoulder on the other. I cried and cried and then my husband made me an appointment at this really awesome place, I got the best haircut I have ever gotten and I have never ever seen another stylist since. I love that man.
                          Anyway, it was one of the worst things ever. The last thing you need when you're pregnant, or post partum is to feel even worse about yourself! You should totally go get it fixed and get a pedi or something else while you're there just to make up for it.
                          -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Appointment made for Wednesday...and I picked up some dry shampoo in the meantime. I'm liking the pedi idea too!

Comment

You will be able to appreciate it when you can see your toes again! Soon!!!
                              -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

Working...
                              X