Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

No Holiday Party...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heidi, take your office to the OR party!!!!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

No parties for DH yet, but my workplace does something. Last year it was renting out a dine in movie place. It was fun, but obviously I'm not going this year, even if there is no baby yet. Sadly I'm guessing the majority of my coworkers will be too busy with work this year to even go...downside of having a holiday event during the workday.
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

DH's department always does a "holiday recovery party" in January, since December is so busy for everyone. We went last year, and it was nice. I don't know yet whether we'll go this year. It'd probably be our first time leaving DD with our sitter, but it's probably a good time to start...
        Laurie
        My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by Meenah View Post
          Heidi, take your office to the OR party!!!!
          I'll be in Chicago!
          Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

We have a pretty fancy department party every year, maybe I am lame, but I always enjoy going to it and all our department events. Maybe cause there are only 17 residents we are all really close, and at least half of the attendings are fun to hang out with. dh is not on call so it should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
              DH's department always does a "holiday recovery party" in January, since December is so busy for everyone. We went last year, and it was nice. I don't know yet whether we'll go this year. It'd probably be our first time leaving DD with our sitter, but it's probably a good time to start...
              The holiday recovery party is a great idea! I wish we had something like that.

I should add that a lot of peeps in our program have their own holiday parties. The interns are having something this year, since I don't think they participate in much. There is a cookie baking party. Another couple with a small apartment in the city is having a party (no idea how that is going to work). And we volunteered to do a progressive dinner party with two of our other dear friends who live up the street from us. Should be interesting!

Heidi, $200??!! How much are they getting in total? Sheesh. I would expect to eat off of gold plates and drink Cristal if they are asking for that much from each attending.
              Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

It was fun, although we didn't know most of the people. It was mostly attendings, and the resident participation was rather disappointing. Still, I enjoyed finally meeting some of the people I'd heard so much about.

The holiday video was hilarious. One line I remember is, "On the nth day of Christmas, Ortho gave to me x stat consults." Sorry, Davita. They poked fun at their own people, too.

We had to leave somewhat early because Andrew is working today. To be honest, I'm also starting to feel old. You could probably tell by my eyes that I'd been up since 4:30 am.
                Cristina
                IM PGY-2

Comment

Originally posted by MissMartini View Post
                  We have a pretty fancy department party every year, maybe I am lame, but I always enjoy going to it and all our department events. Maybe cause there are only 17 residents we are all really close, and at least half of the attendings are fun to hang out with. dh is not on call so it should be fun!
                  This is how our residency party was, we will miss it this year.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I'm super bummed, by he is working the night of their party so we won't be going this year. I haven't really had a chance to meet anyone in the program outside of those who matched with us!

Comment

We won't make the holiday party this year. We'll be traveling for interviews. But, I'm cool with missing it. It's just a crappy lunch (served to us by the faculty) upstairs in the conference room and a visit by Santa and the Mrs. for all the kids. We have a shit-ton of kids in this program and they do a lot of activities for them.

Comment

One of the attendings always has a "party" really us sitting in a nice restaurant every year. I think his dept. gave all the residents $30 cash or something in a card. DH likes to go.

Comment

We just had dinner with one of the residents and her spouse and kids and just found out the scoop...turns out they had to lay off some non-essential staff and they thought it would be in poor taste to have a holiday party immediately following some layoffs due to budget. There are 2 unofficial parties going on at people's houses but I don't think my waistline can stand one more party on our list.
                          Danielle
                          Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

We don't get any cash or gift cards. Pretty sure it's against military regs. Dh did get a gift card when he was on rotation at children's over the holidays-- but never when at a military hospital.
                            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

DH's dept has a party during one of their bi-weekly staff meetings. They exchange a $20 gift and have to contibute to gifts for support staff. I am happy to be free of department holiday parties because they would be a snore.
                              Needs

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                                This is how our residency party was, we will miss it this year.
                                DF's party (or three parties) were like that too. I'm going to miss it this year also (I actually skipped the big one last year because I was in the middle of finals fun and felt incapable of social interaction, lol).

This program is much bigger, so interested to see what the party here is like. We actually skipped one of the parties Sat. night - I'm told that it was more of the department party and not really for residents.

NSG residency is really very long - I got very used to each of the annual parties and it's hard not to end up being close to the other residents. Definitely miss it!

Comment

Working...
                                X