Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Ideas to make Christmas apart special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas to make Christmas apart special?

So, not ideal, but our first married Christmas we will be apart. He has the week before, and after Christmas, on night float. We JUST found out he has christmas eve and day off - but I had already booked a flight home to see my family. Thankfully his is here, so he will spend it with them.

I wasn't sure if anyone else had been in this situation before and wanted to know if there were things you'd recommend doing to make christmas special even though we won't be togehter. Thankfully, we have vacation starting NYE and will be jumping at the chance to go off and spend it together.

will be wrapping some presents...but at a loss for cute, thoughtful ideas...

Can you skype? If you are exchanging gifts, take his for you with you and leave his with him and plan a type to skype and open gifts and have some face time.

If you want to get really creative you can make a scavenger hunt around your house for him to find your gift. If he has a laptop with video he can take you with him on his scavenger hunt.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

THAT is a really great idea! I'm going to bring that up (Skype). The scavenger hunt is great too...I'll have to give that a little thought since I'd have to set it up ahead and hope he wouldn't come across things too soon.

Comment

Maybe your flight will be overbooked
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Haha, ALWAYS a possibility this time of year! I offered to fly home Christmas morning but he's nervous I'll end up missing my flight (and time with parents and grandparents). Skype is a great idea. I might do a card for every day we're apart. Stock the freezer with some pre-made meals. Just trying to make it special since it's our first married Christmas and we don't get to be t ogether!

Comment

Medicine disrupts many many "firsts" and I've learned to roll with it... celebrate Christmas in a unique way during your New Years Trip. My DH had to miss our daughter's first bday in order to make it to her 1-year dr appointment a few days later. We celebrated her bday on a different day and didn't get hung up on the detail that he didn't even see her on her bday proper. You might not be together on Christmas, but create a tradition that can be transitioned to another day if possible. I love the idea of a scavenger hunt or hiding gifts for each day you'll be apart. He'll love having prepared meals And if you are worried he might stumble upon a hidden gift, maybe hide them in places where you've asked him to do honey-do tasks... probably won't find them if you know what I mean!! (jk... sort of). Make the best of what time you have together and enjoy the time with your family. Good luck!
            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Everyone has such great ideas...mind if I use some also? In line with the scavenger hunt, maybe little messages in places that he'd find them? And I'm with scrub-jay...Can't go wrong with food!

Comment

Originally posted by cedarsnow View Post
                Everyone has such great ideas...mind if I use some also? In line with the scavenger hunt, maybe little messages in places that he'd find them? And I'm with scrub-jay...Can't go wrong with food!
                Wow - there are some great ideas here. We've actually never been together on Christmas (kind of crazy to think about actually). DF tends to prefer thanksgiving (food and football), plus his co-resident and/or fellow has usually preferred to have christmas off. I've always left him some little treats - but pre-cooked meals.... I hope he never reads this, lol!

Comment

He's really good to me, and good about trying to make the not so fun things that go along with this medical stuff a little better and me feel special. And we're newlyweds....I might not be quite as sweet in a few years kidding!

He much prefers Thanksgiving to Christmas too (food and football is a winning combo)!

Comment

The SO is also a fan of food and football...damn, men are easy sometimes Megan, congratulations on your new marriage! It's really sweet that you're trying to make it special for him.

Comment

We try to embrace alternate days. By we, I mean me, because DH has no problem with celebrating when it's convenient to celebrate.

We have been know to buy lots of cards and hide them so that they'll be found at particular times. Ie, this card is on your pillow, so you'll see it as soon as you go to bed, but this one is in your car so you won't see it until the next morning. Might be hard to spread that out of a lot of days, but definitely doable over a few.
                      Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Working...
                      X