Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

St. Nicholas Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Nicholas Day

Tomorrow is St. Nicholas Day! Who celebrates? The kids and I are reading the story of the real St. Nicholas tonight--we have a super cute children's book--and then I'll stuff the kids shoes with chocolate coins and oranges tomorrow morning. I love this celebration. Such a good way to get ready for Christmas! And I could use a happy distraction tonight.

Oh I like this idea! I should do that... Is there anything more to it other than oranges or chocolate coins?
    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

If you go online you can find the different countries' customs for celebrating. It's way bigger in Europe than it's been here. The night before, we read the story book, then we stuff with chocolate gold coins and oranges, both of which traditionally represent the gold coins St. Nicholas dropped through the window on the floor below (and, as the tradition goes, into shoes or stockings by the fire).

I am doing something a little extra special this year. I am close to my judge's administrative assistant. I am getting her a pair of fun bedroom slippers, and stuffing them with chocolate coins and oranges, too, and leaving it on her desk! Her family fled Czechoslovakia in the 50s and the Catholic Church was very helpful to her escape. Traditions like this mean a lot to her, so I thought I'd surprise her.

Comment

We used to do it! I don't know if my mom has kept it up now that the youngest is 14. Every year we'd line up our shoes and every year my dad would come home and yell about us leaving our shoes out...part of the tradition!

I'm hoping St. Nicholas brings me a baby...but not in my shoe please!!
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
          We used to do it! I don't know if my mom has kept it up now that the youngest is 14. Every year we'd line up our shoes and every year my dad would come home and yell about us leaving our shoes out...part of the tradition!

I'm hoping St. Nicholas brings me a baby...but not in my shoe please!!
          Too cute!!
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We do! We watch a movie about St. Nicholas and then the children always find chocolate coins and new warm jammies next to their shoes. We love it
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We celebrate! We have 3 Advent calendars and tomorrow we open the door to the most important day on the calendar (other than the 24th).

I've put our boots out and will fill them tonight. I've got a few small toys for M, oranges, and cookies that I baked today (50 crescent cookies--a huge feat for me, because I hate baking!).

I think I'm ready!
              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Oh I loved St. Nicholas day growing up, but instead of our shoes, our stockings were always filled (rather than on Christmas day). Gosh this is making me realize all the traditions I will want to continue with my kiddos!
                Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Awww, I used to do this with my class...so fun and they were always so excites to check their shoes in the morning!

Comment

I loved this tradition! holidays are so much more fun with kids!

Comment

We do it!
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We used to do it when I was growing up in Romania. St. Nicholas would leave oranges and other goodies in the boots of the good kids. He'd leave twigs for the bad kids. Maybe I should start celebrating this again.
                        Cristina
                        IM PGY-2

Comment

My mom brought our Sinterklaas gifts when she was here for Thanksgiving. We always get a dark chocolate letter (our initial) shipped from Holland.
                          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                            My mom brought our Sinterklaas gifts when she was here for Thanksgiving. We always get a dark chocolate letter (our initial) shipped from Holland.
                            Now that's a good gift!!

I'm going to start this tradition next year. DD will be 3 years old. Should be fun!
                            Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                            "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Working...
                            X