Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

*sob* BAD haircut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sob* BAD haircut

So, my normal stylist was not available before the holidays... so I went to the nearby Aveda salon that is extremely well rated. I actually scored an appointment with one of their master stylists. Yay, right!? She did a slight bob because I said I really wanted to get away from the long layers I have had for years. My requirements: has to be wash and wear, I am the mom of a toddler after all.

So... I wake up this morning and I look like a MUSHROOM. Not subtle. Total MUSHROOM. Tears, tears, tears. My stylist is STILL out of town (of course), but the owner of the Aveda salon is going to come in on Saturday to fix it for me free of charge. I still feel awful, I hope she can fix it... I've never gotten a cut from the owner either.

**sob** So, what say you? Wait for my normal (non-Aveda) stylist or let the owner take a shot at fixing it?
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

I would wait if you can. I've cried over a few haircuts over the years and as a result am so nervous about having anyone new touch my hair. (I don't even want to admit how long my hair was before Thanksgiving!). Usually that's exactly what happens to me - I get a little sick of dealing with my long hair and want something easier and mention that to the stylist... they think I mean cut tons of hair. For me shorter hair is always a bigger pain in the butt. At least when it is long I can throw it up if I don't have time to deal with it.

I'm sure the owner at Aveda is legit, but if it were me I'd want the stylist that knows my hair (and my preferences - even when I say things like "I'm so sick of taking care of my long hair") to fix to it.

That suck though - you have my sympathy!

Comment

Can you bring pictures of how you want it to look? That might help her achieve the desired result.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
        Can you bring pictures of how you want it to look? That might help her achieve the desired result.
        Yea. I showed the lady yesterday my cut from last year that I really liked. Little good that did. *sob* I will bring them again of course and be more specific. Although, now that it is so short in the back I think there is little I can do short of thinning shears and going shorter.

Comment

I know nothing about cutting hair but I do know that those in the know have all kinds of skills to turn a bad cut into a good one. Sometimes it does mean going shorter though. For example, my hair was looking chunky in the back - would not curl under. The stylist did some sort of cut to make it lay as I wanted it. I have curly hair and for years no decades I've struggled to find a stylist that can work with my hair. About the only good thing about this podunk town I live is is the salon I go to. All the stylists explain what and why they are going to do what they do. I'd ask Aveda owner what she has in mind to fix your hair. If she can explain it, you will know whether or not she knows her stuff. If you are not sure, be prepared to walk out. Worst case, you wait for your old stylist. Best case, you find a second stylist that can fill in when the other is not available.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Maybe have them show you how to fix it, including what products and tools to use. When I lived in Columbus, the salon I went to prided itself on teaching clients how to do their hair once a style was changed. It was great - I never had a cut I couldn't get to look the same at home. Hope you get it fixed soon!
            -Deb
            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'm sorry! I have had so many bad haircuts and I really feel your pain. I once had a lady cut my hair and perm it and it looked like a curly pyramid. Or one of Marge Simpsons' sisters. If your hair is doing the mushroom thing, growing it out a little might help since even a quarter inch will help weigh it down. This is from my own experience with a mushroom cap two years ago. I agree with JDAZ that short hair tends to be more high maintenance. Good luck to you and I hope that the owner or your usual stylist can give you what you want!

Comment

Thanks guys!! I am going to go talk to the owner on Saturday and see what she says. My hair is really thick and straight, maybe if I go shorter w/some layers in back, it'll work. I am going to insist she NOT style it though bc I won't at home and I want to know what it'll look like under "normal conditions"...It's stupid, but we're traveling for the holidays and we have extended family pics etc on both sides!! I really don't want to remember myself as a mushroom. *sigh* thanks for the support!

Comment

Hug. I had the mushroom cut a few years ago! I should have known that I was doomed when the stylist got out the straighteners. My hair is thick and wavy and I would never take that time to style it at home.
                  Layers in the back sounds like it would work. I hope you can get it fixed.

Comment

Awww I am so sorry!
                    Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
                    "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

I totally want to see it now. Sorry!
                      I hope you can get it fixed to your satisfaction.
                      married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

HUGE AMOUNTS OF SYMPATHY!!!! What's with these crazy stylists running amok these days? It is funny...the women who normally cuts my hair and the one who fixed it both have been working at a local chain store since I was in high school and have a loyal following--it's the fancy places that always screw me over!

Good luck!
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm sorry! Bad hair cuts are the worst! I would wait for my normal stylist to fix it, but that is just me! I had one bad hair cut, had it fixed by a miracle worker and haven't let another soul near my hair ever since.
                          -Mommy, FM wife, Disney Planner and Hoosier

Comment

That is one of my biggest fears and thus why I STILL haven't found a hair person here in DC after living here 2.5 years. In fact next week when I go home for the weekend I am getting my hair trimmed there! I hope its an easy fix.
                            -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                            Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                            Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

Big hugs - this is also why I haven't had my hair cut in almost six months.
                              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Working...
                              X