Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Doing a rotation abroad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did five weeks in London in 2008. (and also had to deal with the bad exchange rate!) We just had our older daughter, who was three years old at the time. It was stressful finding housing but were able to secure it before we left. Overall the trip was a wonderful experience. My daughter and I would explore the city during the week and we would do side trips as a family on the weekends.

Comment

Kelli my husband went to med school in Ireland. We lived there for 5 years. So I don't know anything about arranging rotations but if you have any questions about life there or need ideas on how to look for housing, PM me or something.

What city is the partner school in?

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post
        Kelli my husband went to med school in Ireland. We lived there for 5 years. So I don't know anything about arranging rotations but if you have any questions about life there or need ideas on how to look for housing, PM me or something.

What city is the partner school in?
        Awesome! It's in Dublin I believe? It's the Royal College of Surgeons.

Comment

Yes that's Dublin! It is a great city. I can't remember which hospitals RCSI use (hubby didn't go there, it is even more $$$ than the school he did go to!) but they are all pretty close to the city center anyway. That school has a LOT of foreign students so in theory they should be able to give you assistance with finding a place to live from afar. If not, www.daft.ie was the website we always used to find our apartments. If this looks like something you are going to do them PM me when you start arranging things and I'll let you know about different areas. There are poor, working class areas for sure but nothing like the "bad" parts of major US cities. We lived in some rougher parts of town and it's a culture shock more than anything. We didn't have kids when we lived there, but apartments etc are generally small so you probably want to try and live near a park or something so you can get out easily. The public transport is good for getting around and people walk a lot there too. I used to walk everywhere in the city even though I had a car! I do have good friends there that have had kids since we moved away so can ask them for tips too!

Comment

Originally posted by Lamorna View Post
            Yes that's Dublin! It is a great city. I can't remember which hospitals RCSI use (hubby didn't go there, it is even more $$$ than the school he did go to!) but they are all pretty close to the city center anyway. That school has a LOT of foreign students so in theory they should be able to give you assistance with finding a place to live from afar. If not, www.daft.ie was the website we always used to find our apartments. If this looks like something you are going to do them PM me when you start arranging things and I'll let you know about different areas. There are poor, working class areas for sure but nothing like the "bad" parts of major US cities. We lived in some rougher parts of town and it's a culture shock more than anything. We didn't have kids when we lived there, but apartments etc are generally small so you probably want to try and live near a park or something so you can get out easily. The public transport is good for getting around and people walk a lot there too. I used to walk everywhere in the city even though I had a car! I do have good friends there that have had kids since we moved away so can ask them for tips too!
            Thank you!!!

DH doesn't decide his rotations for 4th year until March I guess, so we have a while to decide. I will definitely PM you though!!

Comment

My husband did a mandatory six-month rotation in neurosurgery at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin. We had two children at the time, with another on the way. I did not go with him, primarily because somebody had to be the grown-up, with a job that paid the mortgage. Besides, DS was in school.

DH lived in a cheap dumpy room at a bed and breakfast across the street from the hospital. Dublin--a generally great city--was depressing at the time. The economy was horrible, many people were angry and down their luck, and the weather was oddly severe that winter.

Comment

Working...
              X