Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Lent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lent

Starts tomorrow...

If you "do" Lent, what are you giving up?

I'm seriously thinking Facebook...
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

I hate to admit this but I need the culpability so I'll post it. I am a social smoker, I do it 2-3 a month and it's just got.to.stop. So I'm giving up cigarettes for Lent with the intention that after 40 days I can call it quits for good. (currently hanging my head in shame)

Comment

I gave up FB a month ago and it's been awesome. We're giving up wheat.

Comment

I'm giving up meat (not fish though).
        Veronica
        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Vinculumjuris: I think it's great you are going to utilize lent as your stepping stone to quit social smoking! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Comment

Hey Momo, thanks so much for the encouragement, I really need it! It's a tough thing to admit anywhere but some how on a medical spouse website it feels that much more embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
              Yay to the giving up FB!

I know this comes up every year, but could those of you who practice Lent tell us more about this? When did it start? Why? What is the proper way to practice Lent? Is there a proper way or many different ways? Thank you! I know just a little bit about it, so I can use a primer.
              I'll have to look up more info later, but basically Lent is a time of preparation for the celebration of Jesus' resurrection. The 40 days are symbolic of the time Jesus spent in the desert (among other things). Lent is all about three main things - prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. I'll post more later (or someone else can add!)
              Jen
              Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Meat except fish and chocolate.

I am so proud of DS (7-1/2). He said that he wanted to practice abstaining from something this year. I told him that he does not have to, that he's very young. But he said that he wanted to, and that he is ready to make the commitment. He thought long and hard, and decided to give up his "Modern Marvels" DVDs, which is his BIG non-school night treat (no TV allowed on school nights!). He got a big 14-DVD set for Christmas. I asked him if he is SURE, and that is not a commitment to be taken lightly, and he said yes.

Comment

GMW your son is adorable!

Together DH and I are limiting eating out to 1x a week together and one lunch (since work lunches see inevitable). Sounds easy, but we have been eating out quite a bit. We are also committing to praying together each evening.

Personally I'm giving up sugar and I think I'm going to forgo the radio in the car in favor of nothing or religious podcasts. I drive 35-70 miles a day lately so it is a lot of time!!!
                  Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

So I am not Catholic, but I participated in Lent last year - I gave up sugar and wheat for the 40 days. GreyhoundRUs that is my understanding as well. I found it a great way to reflect and prepare myself for Easter.

This year I am giving up Facebook, but have not "publicly" announced it, as I got a lot of flack for participating in "something" when I am not Catholic. Meh, whateVer. This is honestly between me and God, and helping me better my spirit.
                    Last edited by Amiens; 02-21-2012, 09:41 PM.
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by Amiens View Post
                      So I am not Catholic, but I participated in Lent last year - I gave up sugar and wheat for the 40 days. GreyhoundRUs that is my understanding as well. I found it a great way to reflect and prepare myself for Easter.

This year I am giving up Facebook, but have not "publicly" announced it, as I got a lot of flack for participating in "something" when I am not Catholic. Meh, whateVer. This is honestly between me and God, and helping me better my spirit.
                      Same here. DH and I have agreed to give up take-out. This may sound stupid, but we live by several yummy restaurants and we've developed a bit of a *ahem* habit. We've agreed to use the time we would spend eating takeout and watching hulu to reflect on ourselves and strengthen our commitment to one another. ((Also hoping to not catch flack...))
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Actually, the majority of Christians on the planet observe Lent. It is not limited just to those who are Roman Catholic. Others who observe Lent include all Catholics in communion with the Holy See (including the Eastern rite Catholics), Eastern Orthodox churches, Anglicans, as well as some Lutherans.

And, receiving the imposition of ashes is sacramental but not a sacrament. Non-Catholics may receive the imposition (although they may not partake in the Eucharist, which is closed).

Comment

So if you see your coworkers with a big smudge on their forehead tomorrow, know they aren't dirty or unaware of something on their face
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Happy Ashy Day!
                            Veronica
                            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Happy Ash Wednesday. I love the FB idea! I had another idea but this one rocks. I have to ponder it ASAP.
                              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                              X