Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Anyone ever ship a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had no problem shipping our car from TX to DC but I went with one that the insurance company recommended- I think it was AAA Transport. We also had the f-ing motorcycle shipped from CA to TX with no problem- that was a shipper he found through ebay Motor.

J.

Just listen to some podcasts of the CarTalk guys on NPR to hear about towing over mountain disasters...

Comment

I think we're back to my dad doing it, renting the trailer is almost as expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
        I would not tow it. You're going over mountains. Not worth it. Our car is set up for towing too (suburban) but we wouldn't do that. Plus imagine the hassle of parking. Everywhere you go.
        This was my thought exactly.
        Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

We towed a car only 6 hrs and it was awful and we managed to completely destroy our front bumper getting it off the trailer. I'm sure your could avoid doing that but it really sucked. So much so that we are just each driving a car for the next move. I've already called dibs on the fast fun one the dogs don't fit in

Comment

We're going to have to have two Suburbans and an F-150 shipped this summer. The Suburbans are too old to make a cross country drive safely plus no way is dh letting me travel by car at 36 weeks. I'll keep you all updated on how the process goes. I have one estimate for approx $2500.00 for all three vehicles which seems reasonable to me.
            Tara
            Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yes, you'll have to let us know how it goes Tara. What I have found is you need to find the company that owns their OWN trucks - the rest (most) are brokers.

The company Auspicious recommended is a broker, because they're a broker they can't give you a small window for pick-up drop off. Coast to Coast Auto Transport was recommended to me by Graebel, which is who we're probably moving with. They are $1,100 for DH's car. C2C has a truck in our area every week so they can pick it up any Thursday or Friday.

This company, DAS Auto Shippers, was also recommended to us by a med school friend of DH's who has used them twice with no issue. They are also about $1,000 and we can drop it off at their location on our timeline, so we don't have to wait around for a truck to pick it up.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I *think* coast to coast is who we went with, and we were happy with it. We met up with them in big parking lots right off of freeways for both dropoff and pickup, neither was too much hassle, and I think it took about 9 days from pickup to dropoff, which gave us plenty of time to get ourselves moved and settled. IIRC, they gave us a 2-day window for when they'd be able to drop off, and they stayed in touch and let us know more precisely as they got closer.
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Thanks Cheri, that's great advice! I will check out those companies.
                  Tara
                  Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Working...
                  X