Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Twitter sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitter sucks!

I don't even use it, so I don't know why I bothered keeping my account. For all you Twitter users, read on.

Today I got an email from Twitter telling me that my account had been compromised and that I had to reset my password. It wasn't the first time that had happened, and I thought nothing of it except that maybe someone had tried to guess my password incorrectly and locked up my account.

Not so! My account had been used to spam quite heavily. Someone obviously managed to get in. So I googled "twitter" and "hacked," and surprise surprise, there's an Angelfire page with very detailed instructions on how to hack someone's Twitter account. I am so mad I could scream. This is a MAJOR security breach in my opinion, and they're all mum about it. I blasted them in a message through their support system. I'd be very careful if you have an account with them.

I initially attempted to submit this issue through the "hacked account" channel, but it wouldn't let me proceed once I said that I had changed my password and deactivated any external apps.

My account has been hacked and used to spam. I believe the issue is far deeper than simply changing my password, as I had a reasonably good password to begin with. If you google "twitter" and "hacked," you will come across an Angelfire page with detailed instructions on how to hack a Twitter account. That is disturbing to me that this kind of information is out there and Twitter is doing nothing to stop this. Maybe you are doing something, but an announcement of some sort to the members would be appreciated.

I now feel like my only solution is to deactivate my account. While I have different passwords for financial and other critical websites, among the group of non-critical websites I use, my passwords tend to repeat themselves. It reflects poorly upon you that I would have to select a unique password just for Twitter because you cannot keep my information secure.
    Cristina
    IM PGY-2

I deleted my account awhile ago after realizing a quick Google search of my username brought up my full name and my posts here...I had used SoonerTexan. I was not amused.

Recently someone signed up for a dating website (a crappy one at that) using my email address. The sign up was via a mobile phone, so I'm not sure if it was an accident or if the girl was trying to jack my email name? Either way, it was unsettling
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Alright. I guess I was wrong. They just reset the password through an exploit on the Twitter database. Still a scary thought.
      Last edited by MissCrabette; 03-10-2012, 08:20 PM.
      Cristina
      IM PGY-2

Comment

I had a twitter account years ago. I signed up for it on my phone so I could message instantly from Egypt and that connected to my facebook as well. What I didn't expect was how people could message me back through twitter to my phone. That was unsettling at first then annoying. Eventually I decided to cancel my twitter account. I guess they are selling old tweets to whoever wants them though for whatever reason.
        PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Working...
        X