Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Trader joes and whole foods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our eggs come from our friends' farm, everything else from SuperTarget, Sam's or Costco. Quick trips to the store are to the Walmart Neighborhood Market (smaller Walmart grocery store).
    Veronica
    Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Just got a flyer in the mail for Market District, appears to be sort of a Whole Foods clone run by Giant Eagle. It looks like they have locations in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus. I plan on checking it out soon, but curious if anyone here has shopped there.

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
        Just got a flyer in the mail for Market District, appears to be sort of a Whole Foods clone run by Giant Eagle. It looks like they have locations in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus. I plan on checking it out soon, but curious if anyone here has shopped there.
        Meh. The one that just opened near us is new and big and it has things like a sushi bar and a liquor licence, but it struck me as more of a new, big, slightly-upscale giant eagle. The mustard seed market and earth fare stores within a mile or so of the new Market District are MUCH closer to whole foods than the market district is. Definitely check it out (the other bonus of the one near is is that it's 24 hour), bit I'd recommend going during off hours for the first few weeks. The one here was madhouse when we went, due to all the opening promotion.
        Sandy
        Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Disappointing. The times I've been to the one nearby it has been a madhouse, utterly disorganized, and the produce was actually worse than at a typical Giant Eagle in the burbs. That might be more a consequence of its location than anything though. DH stops there to get basics on the way home from work, but for good produce we're going to the farmers markets, Whole Foods or a less-trafficked Giant Eagle across the bridge.
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

I went to one outside of Pittsburgh with my sister when I was visiting last weekend - their food section (sushi, pizza, mac & cheese, sandwiches, etc.) was yummy for take out. Otherwise I'm no help
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Sounds like Market Street
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                Sounds like Market Street
                I love love love Market Street!
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

I haven't been impressed with Market District at all. The produce was terrible when I checked it out. I'm sure it's has tons of variety when it comes to packaged foods (its huge), but I don't really eat those...

Comment

I only eat packaged foods at TJs. I actually loooove the package food there. Speaking of TJs, I just bought their sugar/cinnamon spice with grinder. It is so yummy. Just sprinkle a little on my coffee or desserts.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Well, I lied. I do eat lots of frozen TJs foods, and I eat their raw nuts and some dried fruits. So just not cereal, granola bars, crackers/chips etc.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Doesn't sound very promising overall. I'm most interested in their takeout beer area, which is a rarity for supermarkets in PA thanks to our antiquated liquor laws. I don't drink that much, but do enjoy sampling different beers from all over. It's hard to do that when you have to buy a whole case from a distributor. I'll try to stop by this afternoon.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Doesn't sound very promising overall. I'm most interested in their takeout beer area, which is a rarity for supermarkets in PA thanks to our antiquated liquor laws. I don't drink that much, but do enjoy sampling different beers from all over. It's hard to do that when you have to buy a whole case from a distributor. I'll try to stop by this afternoon.
                          Do you have a World Market? They sell indv beer bottles. They do not have microbrews though.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I cannot get over that there's no Wegmans in Pittsburgh. That's a freaking crime.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                              I cannot get over that there's no Wegmans in Pittsburgh. That's a freaking crime.
                              I know! Pittsburgh would be a good market for them. I've heard that Giant Eagle has had a role in keeping them out, but if true, I'm not sure what exactly tactics they've used.

Not sure about World Market.

Comment

Working...
                              X