Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Punished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punished?

I have to vent out about how DW is being treated at work. She is leaning on me, and I need to lean on everyone here.

Since DW has been back at work, returned from maternity leave, it appears as though she has been "punished" for taking the time off. She has been stuck directly into inpatient duty, PICU and next month is ER. Generally speaking, ER is shift work right? Well, as an intern (two years ago) she did 16 shifts in the ER and worked one full day in clinic with one home-call. Last year she did the same # of shifts, 16 but had two days in the clinic and also had two home-call shifts....one of which she was called in on. The schedule came out and it is not pretty. DW is working 19 ER shifts, all residents/inters are. Of these shifts, only four are actually days of 8a-6p. She has eight shifts from 4p-2a, and six shifts from 10p-8a (one shift of 12p-10p). Along with two full clinic days and two home-call shifts. The next resident in seniority has seven, 8a-6p shifts. She is pissed.
    The scheduling of 19 shifts just started for this coming month. No other 3rd years have had to work that many.
    THe scheduling was done by the chief residents, both female, single and childless and apparently, neither of which like DW. Gretchen has approached them about the schedule and she received an email response, as the chief she spoke with in person told her that other chief actually made the schedule. The email stated that 'the scheduling is within the lines of ER policy and that if she has any other concerns about it, she could talk to her. But the schedule is set and there will be no changes made.' Gretchen is furious, she told them to remove her from ER and just put her back to inpatient so she could at least pick her days off. So, she is very stressed about it. It has quickly lowered her breast milk productivity....not that we don't have enough in the freezer, but it is something that she loves to do with the baby and it is a bonding time that is get cut shorter and shorter....

There....I feel a little better...wish there was something I could physically do other than dole out the hugs and constant reminders of the # of days left until she is doing a different service...
    gmdblack

Yikes, that sounds just terrible! Give her a big hug for all of us! I think all you can do is what you're doing!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

That totally sucks Can you take the baby to her occasionally to nurse?
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Mean people suck.

Jenn

Comment

My husband experienced some similar apparent retaliation after he took a couple weeks of unpaid time off when our baby was born during his intern year. They worked him much harder and longer than the other residents once he got back. It stinks. I hope Gretchen is able to find some sympathetic, dare I say kind? individual who can change the schedule....

That just really, really burns me up....

Jennifer
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, Matt. Sometimes women can be real bit#@$% if you know what I mean. Certainly doesn't translate to alot of respect for moms in general.

Comment

That is terrible! I can't believe woman in peds (childless or not) are treating a new mom so horribly! I feel for you both!
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

That is awful that they are treating your wife that way, I can't imagine the kind of mentality that would cause that type of behavior. I'm sure the most frustrating part of it for you is feeling helpless to do anything about it! Here's hoping that these rotations go by quickly ...
                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Is there any way anyone in the ER would be willing to switch a few shifts with her? I've read about this happening when a woman returns to work after maternity leave and it totally sucks and is so unfair that women are punished for having children. Good luck, I hope the situation becomes manageable somehow.

Jill

Comment

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. Well, she has tried to get the schedule changed but nothing yet.... It used to be an unwritten rule that the more seniority as a resident the fewer shifts you had to pull in the ER. Although, when you were there, you were the main authority and had to oversee all the residents, under class wise.

The chief resident that made the schedule actually had the nerve to tell DW that has never been the case. She must have forgotten that the last two years schedules are still on their comuter system and DW called her on it, with the old schedules in hand.....ah, my little trouble maker!

So, we will see what happens. Most likely, she will have to take it like a woman and work what is handed to her. That sucks, but so is life.

Again, thanks to all for the support!

Comment

Sorry Matt about your wife's work situation. I haven't had a chance to post any earlier eventhough I read it a lot sooner. I have been thinking a lot about your situation because of our newborn. I think it is unprofessional of the schedule maker to be so biased about being a parent. I am sorry for you and your wife to have to endure the hectic ER month, especially when protocol has been that she would receive fewer ER shifts with her seniority. She has earned it! I am glad that she stood up for herself against this woman abusing her authority.

I remember my husband's ped's ER rotation was organized so they had to do the same number of day, evening and overnight shifts for the month so it was equal for everyone. I think they even got to sign up for the shifts they wanted. I wish it were that way for your wife.

Jennifer
                      Needs

Comment

Originally posted by jlynnb
                        I remember my husband's ped's ER rotation was organized so they had to do the same number of day, evening and overnight shifts for the month so it was equal for everyone. Jennifer
                        Doesn't that just make sense? These scheduling things seem like they can turn into such a power trip. Eric got really sick (bad virus) during his ER rotation and they really screwed him in schedule changes for him to make up that time. Of course, he couldn't help being sick and he was certainly way too sick to be taking care of patients. In fact, he got so weak and dehydrated while working that they had to put him on an IV in the ER. Can you imagine being a patient and seeing the dr that just treated you sitting in a wheelchair with an IV going? 8O Then they had the nerve to tell him he would have to pay the $75 copay for an ER visit on our insurance. 8O Luckily, someone came to their sense and just let him go home.

BUT...we didn't have a new baby at home nor was he a new mother (obviously ). Matt, the way your wife's co-workers are behaving is just sad. Especially being pediatricians -- hello, don't they see new moms with babes like every day? Not very sympathetic or understanding, IMO!

Comment

Matt,

I'm just now getting around to catching up on a lot of the posts...and this just burns me up for you guys!!!!! What a rotten way to treat a more senior-level resident just because she went on maternity leave!!!!!! What a bunch of jerks!!!!

This chief making the schedule sounds like a real piece of work

Here's hoping that this lousy rotation is over SOON!!!! And you know what...what goes around comes around...shall I wish a little bit of payback on this woman

kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Matt,

I agree that this really sucks for your wife and for you and the boys.

My husband had to do an ER rotation either his intern or second year, and he had scheduled a week of leave during that month. The people scheduling gave him the same number of 12 hour shifts during the three weeks that he was actually working as he would have worked if he hadn't taken leave. It was an off-service rotation, so no one really cared if it was fair for him or not.

I have been suspicious of ERs ever since!

Good for Gretchen for standing up for herself ---- I hope something can be worked out.

Sally
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                            X