Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Finding a new home for our dog....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a new home for our dog....

I'm going to have to part with my dear Molly and find a new home for her...it's just causing too much upheaval in the house and I think that she would really be much happier living on a farm or somewhere where a family would have a lot more time to devote to her and her needs....she's a tad...neurotic and very needy.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? I'm not willing to go through a humane society or pound...I want to find a good home for her.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Kris,
    I recall that you found her through a rescue organization? Was it breed related? Perhaps you could find something similar in your area.

Comment

I agree, Go online and look for a rescue society for you breed.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I was going to suggest the same thing. Breed enthusiasts are usually happy to find "foster care" for the dog until a suitable home can be found. Also, I'm sure they are very careful about where the dog is placed. When we had to give up our black lab a few years ago (she was also neurotic, had a history of abuse and had been overbred by the seeing dog assoc. and with a new baby I couldn't handle her needs) we gave her to my in-laws. Do you have any family or friends who are dog lovers that would want her? That can kind of be a sticky situation, however, especially if the dog has lots of special needs like our dog did. I felt kind of guilty passing her off to them but they did love her and the arrangement worked out fine.
        I do have some friends who told me you should never advertise "free to a good home" for your dog because apparently people respond to the ads and end up taking the dog to a research lab without telling you that is their purpose. My friends advise always asking some sort of price if you are going to advertise in the paper or something.
        Good luck Kris! I know how difficult it is to give up your beloved dog, but especially with a new baby coming, it is probably the best thing for all of you. I know we felt very guilty but we had to admit that Maisy just wasn't happy in our home once the baby came, she regressed socially (hung out in the back room all day) and began peeing on the floor every night, which was not like her. Once she was in a quieter environment and had my mother-in-law doting on her (she did so until the day Maisy passed away) she really thrived!
        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I had a very neurotic cat when I was pregnant with my first child. I was a vet assistant at the time and the doc I worked with "rescued" this cat from a very abusive situation. The poor thing was on kitty valium for a while because she was on the point of insanity.... I decided to take her home with me and she gradually began to view people as OK - even desirable to be around.

Anyway, I decided while pregnant that I simply could not give this animal the love and attention it needed (and had gotten from me to that point) but I didn't know anyone who could provide an appropriate home for her. There was no way I was going to send her to a place that would lock her up indefinitely and probably end up putting her to sleep - I felt like she trusted me so much and I couldn't betray that trust. So, I found a local group that locates homes for animals in situations such as the one we faced. They took my cat to a facility which had a very limited number of very nice containment areas for the cats (there was a long waiting list though - it took weeks to get my pet with them). The people working at the facility spent time and attention with the cats and were very gentle and respectful of the animals. Within a few days they found the ideal situation for my cat - a childless couple without any other pets who wanted her even after being thoroughly informed of her history and personality. I sent my father to meet them (I had just given birth by that point) in order to have the final determination if these people would be appropriate for my cat.

Overall it was a good situation and a very good experience. I felt that I had placed my cat with people who would take as good care of her as I had before my care for her deteriorated when the baby was born. I truly hope you find a loving and appropriate environment for your dog, Kris. I do think you should first explore breed rescue organizations. I have heard very good things about these groups' dedication and respect for the animal they place. If you're anything like me you've lost a bit of sleep over this decision and need to be very sure that your pet will be happy and well cared for. Good luck.

Jennifer
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Thank you for all of the suggestions and stories. After reading this thread I was able to find an Australian Shepherd rescue within 5 minutes of searching that is right near us. That is sort of a...mixed blessing, I guess. It really saddens me to part with her. What bothers me the most is that I won't be able to see how she is doing.....and she also really seems to know that I am pregnant....I feel in some ways that she will feel like she has been.....kicked out of the only family that she has ever known....which honestly makes me feel very guilty.

At the same time, I can't get my husband to come around and even be civil to her anymore and it just isn't fair to her...it just isn't.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions...

kris

Comment

That is bittersweet that you were able to find an organization so quickly. It gives her a shot at a good home but also means that, logistically speaking, it will be fairly easy to give her away. From an attachment point of view, it is very hard to part with a beloved pet.
              For what it is worth, I think you are making the right decision.

Comment

Honestly, Nellie, I feel that it is the best decision for Molly which is the only reason that I will do this....but I would be lying if I said that this is not something that will cause me to resent my husband in a huge way. He has found a way to get what he wants, but this time it comes with a price that he just may not be expecting.

kris

Comment

Hey Kris, I really feel for you. I've got a 7 month old Miniature Australian Shepherd and he's a real handful. It's not an easy breed--very needy and smart and easily bored, and when bored, pretty neurotic and destructive. I work at home and he pretty much follows me from room to room like Secret Service protection. And he has to be crated at home or sent to Doggie Daycare or I bring him with me in the car if I'm going anywhere--the two times he's been left in the house alone have been disasters. I'm training him to be a therapy dog, because he loves people, but he's deep in the teenage period right now and doesn't like to listen, so it's a real fight.

I know how hard it is to have to give up a pet you really love, but I also know what a disruption it can be to your family if it's not a good fit. And if your husband resents her it's likely that she's picking up on it and it's making her behavior even worse. The rescue groups are great at finding the right fit and the right family, and they'll make sure she's happy. You're definitely doing the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X