Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

ranking advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your match!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Iowa City is a great little city! Like Kris said, it is a lot like Madison (but less awesome...I might be biased). Congrats on matching!
      I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

bobk: good luck to your upcoming match. I know how hard it is. We spent days and weeks thinking back and forth ranking our top 5, changed our list a bazillion times, and none of the top 5 mattered.. haha...

everyone: thanks =) This year the competition for neo was really stiff. For the first year in neo fellowship, there were more applicants than spots available. We were a little shocked and in disbelief but at the end I am just glad that we got matched. We actually have 2 seniors there in Iowa city, one as a GI resident and another as a peds attending. Hopefully this is all meant to be and everything would turn out better at the end.
        Match Day was the happiest day of my life... followed by my wedding day...

Comment

Originally posted by labmouse View Post
          bobk: good luck to your upcoming match. I know how hard it is. We spent days and weeks thinking back and forth ranking our top 5, changed our list a bazillion times, and none of the top 5 mattered.. haha...

everyone: thanks =) This year the competition for neo was really stiff. For the first year in neo fellowship, there were more applicants than spots available. We were a little shocked and in disbelief but at the end I am just glad that we got matched. We actually have 2 seniors there in Iowa city, one as a GI resident and another as a peds attending. Hopefully this is all meant to be and everything would turn out better at the end.
          Congrats again for matching!! I'm sorry I didn't realize it was today. Thanks for posting!
          Wife to PGY5. Mommy to baby girl born 11/2009. Cat mommy since 2002
          "“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”"

Comment

Thanks! Did you have any trouble logging in to view the results? I'd imagine the traffic isn't quite as bad as residency match, but there's still a lot of people coming in at exactly noon.

I'd definitely be happy with any match at this point, especially with the costs involved for the interview process. We've been very careful managing our finances throughout residency, however it's pretty much gone to hell these past few months. I had to borrow money today to pay the final credit card bill with those expenses. With some luck, we can pay everything off by the end of the year.

Comment

Congrats on Matching!!! Loved Iowa City when we visited... although it was for a football game so I might be biased too!!!

And bobk... GOOD LUCK!!
              sigpic
              buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Congrats on matching!
                Veronica
                Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Sending you a little luck and mojo bobk for the matching and congrats labmouse on matching! Sorry I don't have any experience with Iowa City but it sounds nice from what the others are saying.

Edited to Add: I was just wondering because I don't know the answer but what happens at the fellowship level if you don't match? Is there a scramble? Are you able to get a job after that? What do people do then?
                  Last edited by Cinderella; 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM.
                  PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Cinderella View Post
                    Sending you a little luck and mojo bobk for the matching and congrats labmouse on matching! Sorry I don't have any experience with Iowa City but it sounds nice from what the others are saying.

Edited to Add: I was just wondering because I don't know the answer but what happens at the fellowship level if you don't match? Is there a scramble? Are you able to get a job after that? What do people do then?
                    Thanks for the good wishes! If you don't match, there isn't a formal scramble process, however a list of unfilled positions is released on Match Day. Programs and candidates are then free at that point to interview for/offer/accept a position outside the match. There are only a handful of these available, so I think the odds of getting one are pretty slim. If you don't get a position, you then can start looking for a "real" job just like everyone else in your residency class who didn't pursue a fellowship. (I think that's the one of the reasons why the fellowship interview and match season is so early in the academic year compared to residency.) You can always apply again for fellowship at a future time.

Comment

Thank you for answer my question. Let us know how it goes for you all.
                      PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                        If you don't match, there isn't a formal scramble process, however a list of unfilled positions is released on Match Day. Programs and candidates are then free at that point to interview for/offer/accept a position outside the match. There are only a handful of these available, so I think the odds of getting one are pretty slim.
                        Totally depends on specialty and candidate. My DH's name was released as unmatched after his fellowship match (convoluted scheming from his program where they ended up taking him outside the match), and he was flooded with calls and emails offering him spots. I was surprised.

Good luck, bobk!
                        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Congratulations on matching! We were also surprised by the Match, but it turned out to be the perfect place for us at that time in our lives. I hope this works out great for you, too!
                          Laurie
                          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Congrats on the match! We have a friend in residency at Iowa and he's been pleasantly surprised by the city.
                            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
                            X