Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Step 1 Review Books/Tapes/CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step 1 Review Books/Tapes/CDs

Hello all!

My DH doesn't have the USMLE Step 1 until next June, but he wants to start preparing for it in January for a few hours each week. I want to buy him some review books and tapes or cds as part of his Christmas present (great gift, right?). I was hoping that you guys and gals could give me a few recommendations.

Also, is it really necessary to start preparing 6 months in advance?

Thanks in advance!
    Kate
    Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Re: Step 1 Review Books/Tapes/CDs

Originally posted by SamsSugarMomma
    Also, is it really necessary to start preparing 6 months in advance?
    I hope so, because that's what my boyfriend is planning to do, as well. He intends for the final two months before the test to be the real hard-core study time, though.

I'm interested in the answer to the study materials question, as well.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I'll have to ask DH about the study materials, I don't really know offhand ...

As for the amount of study time, I suppose that depends on the individual person. John spent about 1 month studying for Step 1 once his second-year classes had finished (which I would say the majority of his classmates did) and did quite well. However, that 1 month was solely dedicated to studying for Step 1 (i.e., 8-10 hours per day) and was very, very intense. My brother did the same and got good results too. It is such an important exam and second year is intensive enough as it is, it seems to me that starting to study for Step 1 too soon would burn you right out by the time you get around to taking the test. Just my opinion, of course ... what do I know, I didn't take the test!
      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Save the receipt for the tax deduction!

Comment

I think that DH studied for about 8 weeks -- about 10 hours per week because he was in classes. Then when he was out of class and had more time....he was burned out. So, I would say pace yourself. But it is an important test, especially for competitive residencies.
          DH thought the First Aid books were the best.

Comment

Yup, I talked to my boyfriend about this again and he says that although he's planning to start looking through First Aid and sort of gearing up for the test in the coming months, he plans to do the bulk of the studying between when classes end in May and when he takes the test in June. He's also doing the Kaplan class.
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I can remember when DW took the test, basically she looked at things when she was able but nothing overly intense until classes were done. Then there was a two week period when she was with her classmates and I never saw her until the test was over.....at the bar with her 80+ classmates celebrating this huge step!!

Comment

Working...
              X