Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fresh eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh eggs

I just cracked one of my fresh eggs from my CSA, and it was black inside and smelled horrible I freaked out. I will never eat an egg again.
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Did it have any cracks to begin with?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Eeeewww!
      Laurie
      My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

That is bound to happen with fresh eggs, that is why you should always break eggs into a bowl and then put them in to what you're making.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
          That is bound to happen with fresh eggs, that is why you should always break eggs into a bowl and then put them in to what you're making.
          Yep, my mom grew up on a farm and still cracks her eggs into a seperately container

Sorry about the trauma though, I'm sure the smell was horrendous
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yuck, yuck, yuck. So, what causes this or do I not want to know?

Comment

Narsty!!
              Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

It could have been fertilized then "forgotten" about and sat for a while. It could have been a chicken that just started laying. Sometimes the new eggs aren't developed properly. Every now and again I find an egg that I didn't see and I chuck it, but...if you're in doubt just "float" them. Put the eggs in a bowl of water. If they sink, good to go. If they float up...rotten. I love fresh eggs. And I love my chickens They all have cool personalities. And names. Lol
                Last edited by rainbabies; 09-15-2012, 04:03 PM.
                ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Ewwww!
                  married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Pretty gross, and probably a rotten egg. As rainbabies said - put them in a bowl of water before hand, and always crack them into a separate bowl before using. From what I've read in my journey of city girl living on a farm, you should do this even with store bought eggs. I have to say though, farm fresh make the BEST and fluffiest eggs by far better than any store bought eggs. When my parents come to visit, I make deviled eggs, and they swear they are the best ever because of the freshness of the eggs.

I had a similar experience, but with a butchered chicken. Let's say dh should not give up his day job in anesthesia to become a chicken farmer. It took me a month to want to eat meat again after that encounter with the "fresh" chicken.
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Ewwww!
                      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies View Post
                        It could have been fertilized then "forgotten" about and sat for a while. It could have been a chicken that just started laying. Sometimes the new eggs aren't developed properly. Every now and again I find an egg that I didn't see and I chuck it, but...if you're in doubt just "float" them. Put the eggs in a bowl of water. If they sink, good to go. If they float up...rotten. I love fresh eggs. And I love my chickens They all have cool personalities. And names. Lol
                        Does this mean I'll never be invited over for roast chicken?

Sorry about your egg experience, B. Blech. I've gotten two yolks a few times but never a stinky egg.

Comment

Yea I can even stand the thought of an egg right now. Yucky!!!
                          Brandi
                          Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X