Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Transfering between Residency Programs (NEED HELP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What everyone has said is true. While my DH is not a surgeon, he couldn't have taken a leave from his program. When we had family deaths, I went and helped pick up the pieces. His dad was hospitalized for weeks - I went "home" when I could and helped his mom. I was literally the extension of my DH. If he wasn't married, he just wouldn't have been able to help. One of DHs co-residents has severe allergies and ends up hospitalized every spring or a severe eczema exacerbation. After PGY 1 the resident didn't get to schedule a vacation. The week he was recovering (including in the hospital) became part of his vacation. Otherwise, he would have had to make up time. He was pleased that the program worked with him so that he didn't have to try to schedule this in advance and would work to cover the shifts he had to suddenly miss.
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Hi, Welcome to the boards. I just wanted to let you know that I have great compassion for your situation. I'm sorry to hear about your family emergency. As others have pointed out, surgery residencies have to abide by national standards of days of training and number and types of surgeries per year. Women who had maternity leave as categorical residents had to make the time up at end of the residency in order to be board eligible.

I know this seems overwhelming soon and this path might be a bit longer than anticipated, but you can eventually get the training he needs. Best of luck and huge hugs. Jump on in to the convo. No matter the crazy twists that the medical life, I can guarantee that someone on this board has been down a similar road.
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
        No matter the crazy twists that the medical life, I can guarantee that someone on this board has been down a similar road.

Word. We have a wealth of experience around here.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          Word. We have a wealth of experience around here.

Ditto! And please don't let our bluntness scare you off. We tell it like it is and are the best support group you will ever find
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Heh. Yes, we tend to be very forthright, but please don't mistake it for being cavalier or uncaring. We care very much and temper our honesty with kindness. We will ALWAYS be much gentler with each other than that hoary bitch of medicine has ever been to anyone of us.

Comment

You will get a straight answer here. We can be blunt, but blowing smoke doesn't help you in any way and we won't do it. I hope that there is some way you and your husband can come to some peace with the fact that he most likely won't be able to return to take care of the family emergency.

Medicine is a long hard road.
              Kris

Comment

Thank you everybody for your comments. I will keep you updated.

Comment

Yes please keep us updated. You are among friends here. Blunt honesty can sting a little, but I know that these men and women here understand and sympathize with mean no matter how big or small the rant may be. I do hope everything works out for you. Radiology has been fantastic compared to the crapfest that prelim surgery was for us.
                  Brandi
                  Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

I'm so sorry your family has been put in such a rock and hard place position so early on in residency.

Last year around this time one of DH's classmates from med school also had to take a leave of absence from his prelim program because his child was diagnosed with a rare life threatening cancer. They had just moved across the country away from all their families. He ultimately ended up walking away from the prelim program and moved home so he could get a job with his dad's company to ensure he had medical insurance. He got ridiculously lucky and was able to convince the local program to take him on the following academic year. Even luckier, that rads program had the prelim year built in! So while he sacrificed the first several months of prelim year, he was still able to get a slot. I realize his situation is definitely not the typical outcome, but I wanted to hopefully offer you some insight on how others have managed.

(((HUGS))).
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Working...
                    X