Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Oregon Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Shooting

There was a shooting at a mall in Portland... all my Oregon folks okay??

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/11/us/ore...ing/?hpt=hp_t1
    sigpic
    buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Awful, just awful.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I am worried too. I know nothing of the geography there - just that Oregon has many IMSNers.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Clackamas is east side of the river. The kids and I went there a few times when we lived there but OrionGrad is probably the only one that would be close enough to it to go to it regularly. Hopefully they'll check in soon.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I have friends who were there in the thick of things. They are safe, thankfully. Clackamas Towne Center is a crazy busy mall, particularly this time of year. It's a miracle that more people weren't killed.

Comment

Oh my gosh!!!! I have been studying all day and had not heard about this.
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

It's a bit outside Portland, actually, south of it (I think about a half hour but don't quote me... It has been years since I was last down there). Last I heard there were three dead (including the shooter) and one injured. The gunman was apparently wearing camo and had body armor on... This guy came prepared *shakes head*. No word yet on motive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. ~Maya Angelou

Comment

We're alright too. It's around an hour plus some from where we are. This morning in our area a juvenile was sighted with a rifle near a middle school and so several schools in the area went into lock down. Police units set up a parameter and did patrols until they eventually declared everything safe as they never found the kid with the rifle and nothing happened. Then there is this happening. I guess it started at the mall in the Macy's area around 2:30 pm and went until around 6 pm. People were calling us all day while I was trying to sleep.

Two confirmed dead plus the shooter is dead. One other trauma was sent to the hospital.
                PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

I hope all your friends and family are ok too...This makes me physically sick hearing about all of these shootings and random acts of violence.

Comment

I've been glued to the news all afternoon. We go there a couple times a month, but luckily we didn't head down there today.
                    DH had his last case of the day cancelled because they needed the ORs cleared for potential victims. (Before they knew how many people had been shot.) It's scary stuff.

Comment

*shakes head* Just crazy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. ~Maya Angelou

Comment

The Oregon Mall Shooting made National and International news. One of my PDX friends I've had for years said they were at that mall yesterday during the shooting but they were evacuated quickly and are doing alright. Everyone else I know in the area checked in are ok too.
                        PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
                          I've been glued to the news all afternoon. We go there a couple times a month, but luckily we didn't head down there today.
                          DH had his last case of the day cancelled because they needed the ORs cleared for potential victims. (Before they knew how many people had been shot.) It's scary stuff.
                          So glad you checked in, I can't imagine how terrifying it would have been to be there let alone with a new baby. As a former mall management team member I can't imagine being there, we trained for this, we had mock shootings with police, etc. I would have been the one on TV talking to the press if it had happened at my mall. I saw a press story with an old colleagues name on it as he made GGP's official statement. What a terrible time of year for this to happen, not that any time of year would have been better, so very very sad for those families.
                          Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                            So glad you checked in, I can't imagine how terrifying it would have been to be there let alone with a new baby. As a former mall management team member I can't imagine being there, we trained for this, we had mock shootings with police, etc. I would have been the one on TV talking to the press if it had happened at my mall. I saw a press story with an old colleagues name on it as he made GGP's official statement. What a terrible time of year for this to happen, not that any time of year would have been better, so very very sad for those families.
                            +1
                            sigpic
                            buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

Working...
                            X