Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Going to the OB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to the OB

Dd has been begging us to take her to the hospital. She loves all things related to doctors, hospitals, health, check-ups, etc.

I told dd I had to go to an appointment yesterday, and that was a huge mistake. That made it even harder to get her to go to school.

When I got to my appointment, I noticed a ton of preschool-aged kids there. I felt pangs of guilt, because frankly, my daughter would get more out of a doctor's visit at this point...

Anyway, I'm thinking a pelvic exam isn't exactly the place I'd want to bring my kid to, but wow, was I surprised that out of the 10 or so women I saw, about 5 had kids in the 2-5 age range.

Do you bring your kids to your OB appointments?
    married to an anesthesia attending

Nope. I was a little worried she'd model it at preschool. :O
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I do, but I really don't have an option. We don't have a ton of extra money for a sitter. The mom I used to swap with has a new baby (her 3rd), and most of my SAHM friends have other kids they watch during the day. I will have a neighbor come and watch DD while I do my glucose test in April - because it is a long appointment.
      Jen
      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Your dd is still young enough where I'd be ok with it. I'd bend over backwards to schedule my appointments on post-call days so that my talkative, nipples and penis-curious toddler wouldn't witness the checkup.
        married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Yep, loading them both in the double stroller and bringing them along next week. Now that DS is in preschool, I'd typically schedule it for a day when I only had DD, but I let my BCP prescription run out, so I had to take the first available. DS came to almost all of my OB appointments when I was pregnant with DD.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
            Your dd is still young enough where I'd be ok with it. I'd bend over backwards to schedule my appointments on post-call days so that my talkative, nipples and penis-curious toddler wouldn't witness the checkup.
            Except she's super clingy. It's hard having a pelvic and breast exam with a squirmy 13 month old on you No post-call days here anymore (not for PGY-3+).
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I always took all of my kids to all of my OB appointments, too. My oldest was almost-5 and my younger one was 3.5yo toward the end of my last pregnancy, I don't recall it ever being weird or awkward with both boys there. I just always made sure to bring snacks and activities (Leapsters, etc) to keep them occupied. *shrug* I dunno, it honestly never occurred to me NOT to take them with me!
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working in an ob/gyn office. I say no. But I am grumpy today so pay no attention.
                Brandi
                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

The issue at our OB is that there is no room for a stroller. Umbrella, barely, but otherwise, you can't get from the door to the exam table.
                  Jen

Comment

I took K1 with to an ultrasound once when I was pg with K2. I had K1 in a stroller so he couldn't touch anything. He was probably about 15 months. He freaked out and began screaming when we heard the baby's heartbeat. I haven't taken him with me to the doctor since.
                    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I've done it. In fact my OB has flat out told me to bring the boys! No big deal.

ETA I had to take my then 27 month old to my six week check up after delivery and I remember him screaming, " What are you doing to my mommy!!" He had to sit on my boobs while she checked me out to keep him calm. But all the other times were fine.
                      Last edited by Chrisada; 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X