Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cold Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Season

Please tell me I'm being paranoid! I know of two people, both in TX, who've had a two part cold this month. The first one is really bad, then they feel better for a day or two, and the second round hits much worse. Anyone else seen that this year, or could it just be a coincidence? I'm such a baby when I'm sick, and that last one knocked me on my tush!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Do they know it wasn't the flu?
    -Deb
    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

I'm not sure if they were tested. Mine definitely seemed like a really bad cold/sinus infection with a nasty cough. Not really flu-like.
      Laurie

Comment

I know several confirmed cases of flu here in people that had the flu shot.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

A really bad cold/sinus infection with nasty cough sounds kind of exactly like the flu (at least fly A that we're seeing here). I did learn that Tylenol helps. It's the only illness I've ever had that Tylenol worked to help (as DH reminded me, he really is a Dr and knows a thing or two).
          -Deb

Comment

I know lots of people who have been really sick this year. Flu, strep, GI. More so than in years past, it seems. I hope those of you who are sick, feel better soon!
            Jen
            Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I never really got a fever, though? Wish I'd tried Tylenol. I took DayQuil a couple times, and it has acetemenophen, but it didn't help much. This has been a bad year for bugs!

Day 2 of not feeling like death... Still have the gross cough, but crossing my fingers I don't get hit with a second round!!!
              Laurie

Comment

The fevers in our house only got as high as 101 and only in one child, but when it kept dragging on we got flu tested, and that's what it was. It just helped because I got it after, so I went on Tamiflu, and then we had an idea of contagion period. I agree - so many people seem sick this year!
                -Deb

Comment

Well darn! Haha maybe I did have the flu. I didn't pass the hand to the forehead test to bother taking my real temperature, but I'm not sure if 101 is high enough that I'd have noticed. At least now I know to take the kids in if they start seeming sick. We all got the flu shot, but it sounds like it was a dud this year.
                  Laurie

Comment

Dd had a low grade fever for 6 days (the highest it got was 102), and we finally took her in last Saturday, when the fever just wouldn't break and the cough, sniffles and lethargy just seemed to continue for those 6 days with no signs of getting worse nor getting better. We thought she might have pneumonia or a middle ear infection, but of course at the doctor, her temperature measured 98.6, and it was the turning point--she started feeling better within hours or the doctor visit!
                    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Ok - cough remedy ideas - I'm going to be in a hotel room with DH and DD for 4 nights, and my stupid cough is going to be the death of all of us (because it's so annoying). Honey - nada. Codine (30mg) - meh. It's just the right side. I get this dry tickle and then the hacking, dry cough. Oh, and dark chocolate did nothing - unless I was supposed to do something other than eat it!
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Jen, try Mucinex? I was sick for a couple of weeks and the only thing that helped my dry hacking cough was coughing up phlegm. Lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
                          Ok - cough remedy ideas - I'm going to be in a hotel room with DH and DD for 4 nights, and my stupid cough is going to be the death of all of us (because it's so annoying). Honey - nada. Codine (30mg) - meh. It's just the right side. I get this dry tickle and then the hacking, dry cough. Oh, and dark chocolate did nothing - unless I was supposed to do something other than eat it!
                          Those are the only ones I know. I did see something on pinterest that was quite boozy, but I don't think you really want that. I would suggest hard candy, but I have a pathological fear of choking to death when you take a super deep breath to start coughing. You're probably already drinking a lot of water...

Comment

I like Delsym or any 12-hour guaifenesin/dextromethorphan combination. The 12-hour part is key, otherwise you have to take more every 4 hours, which isn't ideal when you want to actually sleep.
                            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
                            X