Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting to know you question #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julia, word. I demanded she get me another teacher and we agreed that I would never be her student again ever. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
      Typical Asian family. I played piano and my brother plays violin.
      -Ladybug

Comment

I took piano lessons from 1st thru 12th grade (thank you Mom for not letting me quit in Jr. High), and voice from 9th-12th. I need to start my first grader in piano lessons...
        -Deb
        Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

No musical talent at all. My 5 year old puts his hand over my mouth when I sing in church.
          Veronica
          Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by houseelf View Post
            Err....I'm feeling a bit inadequate here!
            Don't. Once you can play the clarinet, most other woodwinds are just a matter of changing embouchure to play. Notes are the same. The biggest exception to this is double reeds like oboe and bassoon. Double reeds are HARD to play well. And by "play well" I mean "not sound like a dying cat".

Comment

OMG, I tried to learn the oboe in high school (we desperately needed one in the band), and I nearly died. Those things are impossible.

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
              Julia, word. I demanded she get me another teacher and we agreed that I would never be her student again ever. Ever.
              So what does your mom teach? What does she play? My mom does elementary music (1-5 right now) and choir. She's mostly a singer but also plays the piano and guitar, and took up the harp a few years ago. I love that harp!
              Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I'm with V and K, I possess no musical talent. . I tried clarinet in the 6th grade band and hated every second of it. I was always jealous of the flute players because I thought their parts sounded prettier.

I've always wanted to learn guitar though, but have been too intimidated to actually sign up for a lesson. DD2 seems to be into music and has started songwriting. SIL just bought her a keyboard for Christmas and I've been considering signing her up for either piano or guitar lessons. She shows an interest in both. What do you musical peeps think is better to learn as a first instrument for an 8 1/2 year old?
                Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Definitely piano. It teaches you how to read music in two clefs. The best place to start.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPhDWife View Post
                    What do you musical peeps think is better to learn as a first instrument for an 8 1/2 year old?
                    The best instrument for a kid that age is whatever they are interested in learning. Do not force them into an instrument that they have zero desire to play. It will set up a battle of wills and endless nagging for practice. However, if they are allowed to pick whatever instrument they like, they will see practicing as a treat more than a chore.

If she likes both, let her learn both in whichever order she wants.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                      Definitely piano. It teaches you how to read music in two clefs. The best place to start.
                      Agreed! DH and I both said that our kids will take piano from a young age, and can branch out from there!
                      Jen
                      Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Flute for several years, dabbled in piccolo, tenor sax, percussion. Mostly concert band with some marching band mixed in. I can still read music even though I haven't done it in years. I suspect my dd may pick up the violin at some point, she is pretty obsessed with Joshua Bell. hehe, yes, I get raised eyebrows when my 2.5 year old asks her teachers to play either Joshua Bell or Fleetwood Mac. *shrug* Cracks me up.

I would LOVE to have a piano in our home and learn to play it.
                        Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I am no terribly thrilled that DD1 has been asked to play the piccolo. I haaaaaaate piccolo. Shrill ass mofo.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                            I am no terribly thrilled that DD1 has been asked to play the piccolo. I haaaaaaate piccolo. Shrill ass mofo.
                            Ugh! They don't have any volunteers? Usually everyone WANTS to play it. I'm with you, it wasn't my favorite at all, I ditched it for tenor sax fast.
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Also a typical Asian family here, I started piano lessons at about age 4 and violin lessons at about age 6 and took both until I finished high school.

We have a piano in our home that I don't get to play nearly as much as I would like, but my 7yo is taking lessons right now.
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                                Ugh! They don't have any volunteers? Usually everyone WANTS to play it. I'm with you, it wasn't my favorite at all, I ditched it for tenor sax fast.
                                Some clarinet player volunteered, but the girl doesn't practice her own instrument, so the band director asked DD1 to play the damn thing. DD1 is just thrilled that her band director finally gave them HS-level music. They've been playing pep, holiday, and middle school-level music all year and it was driving DD1 insane.

Comment

Working...
                                X